Tony Stewart hits, kills walking driver on sprint-car track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone I know on an automotive forum told me that sprint cars run a solid axle with no differential and use differently-sized tires on the rear to deal with turns. He also said as a result, they can't even drive in a straight line on the track, so the drivers are constantly see-sawing back and forth on the straights. Seems to me that this would make charging the car an even dumber move...

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, i've been very deeply involved in actual racing, or have raced in several different types of organized motorsports. (Dirt Track toilet bowl racin' , drag racing, Street racing, motorcycle, etc..etc)

#1 If anyone gets out of their car like that kid did YOU'RE A DUMBASS. He was showing his ass trying to act like a tough guy...there's no other way around it What the HELL was he gunna do?????. A human body CANNOT win a fight against a car...plain and simple!!! You stay in your **** untill the safety folks show up. That car is built to protect you. If he would have been in his car, he'd still be alive and probably have raced again that night after replacing some junk. (Yes, people get out, but you are not supposed to unless you're on fire or in imminent danger while staying in the car) If you wanna fight, go get him in the pits....that's what pit goons are for : )

#2 It kinda looks like the car was hit by the guy..or they at least met in the middle......just sayin. If THAT LITTLE bit of movement by TS's car got the kid, then he was WAYYYYYYYY too close to that car to NOT get hit.

#3 That's a smalllllll track. Look at the amount of time it took to make a lap even under caution. And Stewart was behind another car...did the OTHER guy plan on running the kid over too? TS didn't line up on him or anything, the kid came and met the car, not the other way around. Intent just wasn't there.

Yeah, Stewart has done the same thing on nascar tracks..and he was a dumbass too. Now, if he would have been injured or killed during one of those tirades, Yep...it woulda been his fault unless someone was proved to have lined up on him and run him over, but he would have still been partially at fault for being out of his damned car.

Whether TS was trying to spray him with dirt Or just swerving to try to miss him, or "seeing" the kid startled him or whatever isn't the issue...hell, there's a big chance he didn't even know the kid was there till it was too late...the issue was that kid was Out of his ride and WAY TOO DAMNED close to a group of moving cars and HE was the aggressor in the situation and his antics got him killed. HE was advancing into the car. He was RIGHT ON those cars and that was just too close and he paid for it.

I Feel bad for everyone involved.

Dang Dood, take a valium, have a drink,Take apuffy puff, youre gonna Blow the fukc-up

edit:OR TS took his asx the fukc Out

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone I know on an automotive forum told me that sprint cars run a solid axle with no differential and use differently-sized tires on the rear to deal with turns. He also said as a result, they can't even drive in a straight line on the track, so the drivers are constantly see-sawing back and forth on the straights. Seems to me that this would make charging the car an even dumber move...

My buddy that ran street stock cars at Enid said the tires heights were different to offset the high banks of the track.

I don't know personally. Just passing info that I heard.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Correct. They run spooled rear ends.

Edit to add: Don't know about the can't drive in a straight line part. They are on dirt so there's slippage for the different size tires and they appear to run pretty straight in the straights?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Veteran drivers agree that today’s cars drive much better than the older ones, but Smith admits that the drastic body roll that is common nowadays would spook someone who has not been competing on dirt regularly.
“If you get a driver that drove 10 years ago and put him in a car now, he wouldn’t drive it,” he says. “He’s never experienced anything like that in his life. But you take a young guy that’s never drove a race car, he’s at home. He don’t know any different. It takes anybody some time to get used to this thing.”
A long-legged shock that opens quickly and compresses more slowly is the key to the radical body roll. As the left side rises, changes in the suspension geometry actually cause the left-side wheelbase to contract, making the car turn. Driver preferences vary, but few successful drivers set up their cars to corner as flat as they used to—and as pavement cars still do.
“They drive better than you think they will,” Smith notes. “They transfer the weight so much quicker like that. It sticks the wheels so much harder.”

Read more: http://www.stockcarracing.com/thehistoryof/92378_dirt_late_model_evolution/#ixzz3A3niIxUm

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know the current rules. I watched a replay of a race the other day, and there were three cars that were all in contact with each other before the one drafting on the left broke out and won the race.

One of the reasons NASCAR sucks. You can bump a guy that has led the race for 499 miles, and spin him out.

I much prefer open wheel racing where that same maneuver would cause both contestants to spin out and loose the race. Open wheel is a gentleman's racing organization where pure driving wins the race vs the thuggery of NASCAR.

NASCAR is still living on the running moonshine from the feds theory.

Open wheel racers can't even run at the Dallas speedway. The banks are so steep that the G forces cause the open wheel guys to pass out if they were at full throttle.

Some of you experts may be more clear on this. I read an article about it awhile back.

http://espn.go.com/racing/schedule/_/series/indycar

Firestone 600 at Texas Motor Speedway they have been running that race for many years. I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw plenty of track lower to put a little more distance between him and the wrecked vehicle. One guy won't get a 2nd chance, hopefully the other will act differently after this incident.

(I have raced ATV's on a circle dirt track and on motor cross tracks.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom