Too much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was a middle of the road load from the Hornady book…
New brass
0F48A3BA-B67F-4A2C-A0C3-AA29EEB76D7F.jpeg

EB50C70E-2712-44AB-951D-AE2F06314056.jpeg

1BF6B7CF-8753-4269-8E77-38F1F4DAACBF.jpeg

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check for a similar load from a different source and compare the grains. Sometimes you run across a load where the mfr went abnormally high.

You can even check Hornady's website load data which might be updated compared to your book.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The flattened primer along with the firing pin edges fire forming into the gun's firing pin hole is a bit much for me.

From the article

Also, consider this: The primer is designed to withstand the maximum pressure for any cartridge that can fire it. Many 44 Magnum loads specify a standard large pistol primer. The 45 ACP does too. If you're using primer flatness to judge over pressure in a 45 ACP, you'll likely not see it until it is way beyond max.

1694738151561.png

https://massgunownership.com/reloading/reading_pressure_signs.html

Last edited:

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cases had to pushed out with a rod(not extreme but the ejector was not enough and I’m not hammering on it) and still 2gr under max per the book but I think it’s about max for mine. It’s got some primer flattening going on and I would say these loads are brutal on both muzzle flash and recoil.
I fired that one(plus a lot more) in my 3.5”, do you think I will see some normalization with my 8.38”?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of things to consider here.
Chamber diameter, Groove diameter in the barrel.
Brass thickness and Alloy of brass along with volume of the brass case and lot number of powder.

No way we can ever duplicate pressures and loads that were tested by the manufacturer and printed in some book.

If it sticks in the chamber it is too hot for that case.
Or the chamber is dirty or bulged in the chamber somewhere.

Have you slugged the barrel?
If this is a new gun and you are just now playing with it you could have a tight barrel.

Many things to consider and measure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom