Tracers?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ldp4570 or angsniper you guy's would most likely have the answer.I know
tracers are to show were your hitting.Do the tracers have the same knock down as the other rounds.

If so,then why not shoot all tracers?[Broken External Image]

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have the same power levels as regular FMJ. In combat, depending on cyclic rate and caliber, tracers are used every 3 to 5 rounds to "walk" the fire into the enemy position. But remember, tracers work both ways!

My preferred use for tracers was to put 3 in a row at the bottom of the magazine. That way I knew I was running out and it was time to reload. But with enough time running an AR/M16, it's easy to tell when you're out, based on the sound and feel of the bolt locking back.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are also used for designating targets for the rest of your team....but as mentioned, they are otherwise the same round.

I saw some guys load 3 in a row at the bottom of their mags, but I decided I didn't want to advertise that I was about to run dry.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They have the same power levels as regular FMJ. In combat, depending on cyclic rate and caliber, tracers are used every 3 to 5 rounds to "walk" the fire into the enemy position. But remember, tracers work both ways!

My preferred use for tracers was to put 3 in a row at the bottom of the magazine. That way I knew I was running out and it was time to reload. But with enough time running an AR/M16, it's easy to tell when you're out, based on the sound and feel of the bolt locking back.

Ditto. Although I have shot tracers a number of times on the pop up range in both M16's and M249's, I was not in a position to fire tracers at an enemy. I don't mind shooting tracers thru uncle sams toys but I would not fire tracers through my personal weapon/barrel.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M856 has a delayed burn, so the concerns of 'tracers work both ways" and ruining your barrel don't really apply with that round.

Of course there are some some accuracy issues with the M856, but I don't think it's enough to worry about in a situation where you are using tracers in their planned role...a precision marksman/sniper probably wouldn't be using them to begin with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom