Traditional archery in a picture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess they don’t call it a “struggle stick” for nothing. I can shoot lights out one day and struggle terribly the next. These are two consecutive shots. My first shot missed the target, the arrow can be seen in the top of the picture on the ground. Second shot is dead perfect. This is what makes me want to pull my hair out, but also makes me love the process.
D6AA4F97-35E0-4009-A7ED-302D7CCE1AFA.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I am of the opposite camp, as soon as the top knuckle of my thumb touches the corner of my mouth, I release. If you were using some sighting method then and only then would a hold be necessary. Every time, feet the same, bow tilt or no bow tilt the same, draw speed the same, anchor point the same, release time the same. Looking at the smallest piece of the vitals you can, I'm sure you've heard "aim small miss small" before. It's a very true statement with traditional archery.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My friend and i would play a timed game with our bows.
I had a big block of styrofoam the arrows would not pass through and a caltalpa leaf stuck into a hole in the front of it.

One person would have their back turned and the other would move the foam somewhere in the yard.
Then say Ready.
The shooter now turns around and spots the foam block and has 10 seconds to find it and shoot it.

We found 10 seconds is an eternity and most of our shots would come quick.
We got to allowing only 5 seconds to shoot the leaf.

This got us really good at hitting targets at many different distances.
I killed a lot of tree rats, cats, skunks, armadillos and I even got a dove one time that was on the ground I was shooting off my porch.

Many times we would get on the house and shoot the target.
Other times we would stand beside/behind a tree like we were hiding and shoot the target.

Kneeling and shooting and holding the bow at different angles.

I still have that bow and I bought it when i was 12 or 13 used from my neighbor for $7.50
Ben Pearson fiberglass Target Master 40 lb draw.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never tried archery and would like to set a range up in my back yard. Been keeping my eyes peeled for a Ben Pearson but darn! Like everything else, people want way more then I’m willing to pay. Found a 40 lb takedown but the guy wanted $300. Yikes. 😳

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I miss shooting traditional bows. Two shoulder surgeries and I'm done with bow hunting, can't pull them back and hold it anymore. Crossbows take all the challenge out of it for me. I think I enjoyed the practice more than the hunting. Taking a deer with clean shot was more of a gauge on how well you had improved and mastered the technique.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I miss shooting traditional bows. Two shoulder surgeries and I'm done with bow hunting, can't pull them back and hold it anymore. Crossbows take all the challenge out of it for me. I think I enjoyed the practice more than the hunting. Taking a deer with clean shot was more of a gauge on how well you had improved and mastered the technique.
A lot of people get a bow that’s too heavy. Go very light and shoot a lot. Don’t hold for long. The weight stacks after a certain draw length also. Even a 35lb with the right arrows can take a deer. Not sure if you were pulling a 50 or something.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had both shoulders operated on. I tried 4 different crossbows and hated them all. Bought a very light pull Mathews and fell in love with bow hunting again. On a whim one evening I shot a recurve at a buddy’s house, went home & put my Mathews up for sale and never looked back. I’ve shot traditional since.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am of the opposite camp, as soon as the top knuckle of my thumb touches the corner of my mouth, I release. If you were using some sighting method then and only then would a hold be necessary. Every time, feet the same, bow tilt or no bow tilt the same, draw speed the same, anchor point the same, release time the same. Looking at the smallest piece of the vitals you can, I'm sure you've heard "aim small miss small" before. It's a very true statement with traditional archery.
That is your anchor and that’s cool. Once you have it no need to pause.

Latest posts

Top Bottom