Trailer for 2010 remake of True Grit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the record, I gotta say that I too think Joel and Ethan Coen are brilliant writers/directors. Of all their work I've seen, I loved each and every one. Well...maybe not No Country For Old Men. I think if the movie would have been more about Tommy Lee Jones and if he woulda caught the bad guy in the end, it might have been a better movie, but that ending was just messed up! Plain and simple! :talk2hand:

But.

Raising Arizona and O Brother...Where Art Thou? are both two of my favorite movies.

The only problem I have with them and this remake is why did they have to pick True Grit? :anyone: This is the only movie (out of 160 something) that John Wayne made that earned him his one and only Oscar. That should be considered something sacred if nothing else.

Why didn't they redo Big Jake? Or El Dorado? Or hell, even The Quiet Man? Those are three more of my favorite JW films. Hell it wouldn't have bothered me a bit if they redone them.

But True Grit? Jesus! :cry3:

And Matt Damon as LeBoeuf? You gotta be shittin' me? :ugh2:

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I can almost guarantee it was for the look...

[Broken External Image]

astatic.tvfanatic.com_files_matt_damon.jpg

Cant really find a picture that really shows it, but Damon and Campbell sort-of look like they could be related... just sayin.

As far as True Grit being sacred,... its not a scene for scene or even same story remake. Its a differing view of the book. Sure, there is going to be some of the same plot, but in my opinion, I don't think its going to be "True Grit '69".

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the record, I gotta say that I too think Joel and Ethan Coen are brilliant writers/directors. Of all their work I've seen, I loved each and every one. Well...maybe not No Country For Old Men. I think if the movie would have been more about Tommy Lee Jones and if he woulda caught the bad guy in the end, it might have been a better movie, but that ending was just messed up! Plain and simple! :talk2hand:

But.

Raising Arizona and O Brother...Where Art Thou? are both two of my favorite movies.

The only problem I have with them and this remake is why did they have to pick True Grit? :anyone: This is the only movie (out of 160 something) that John Wayne made that earned him his one and only Oscar. That should be considered something sacred if nothing else.

Why didn't they redo Big Jake? Or El Dorado? Or hell, even The Quiet Man? Those are three more of my favorite JW films. Hell it wouldn't have bothered me a bit if they redone them.

But True Grit? Jesus! :cry3:

We have discussed No Country. If the good guy had won in the end, the move would have been typical Hollywood trash, and nothing like the incredible book. It was very much about Jones's character, you just had to look deep to see it.

As for True Grit, it may have earned him an Oscar, but the movie was crap compared to the book. John Wayne made much, much better movies than True Grit, or Rooster Cogburn. Again, this move is not a remake. Its a movie adaptation of a novel. The first was a movie with the same name as the novel, the story was only vaguely similar.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a little hesitant when I heard they were making this, but the more I see of it the more I like (except for the Maaattt Daaaamoon casting).

I love westerns and wish they would make more. I really wish they would make the rest of the Cole/Hitch series.

okieglock83

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off I am a HUGE John Wayne fan...I've been watchin The Duke since I was a baby. I know we hav a few JW nuts in here (JB and GED) and I'm right up there...anyone that knows we would tell ya I'm a Wayne freak...but...

I'm personally very excited about this movie. I would love to see westerns make a come back and this could be a great step towards that (big name directors, Academy Award winner in first billed role, ect)...

The Coen Bros are great...No Country is one of the best "western-ish" movies ever made.

I think the casting is spot on...I used to have a problem with Bridges in some of his roles but lately he's really come into his own...Crazyheart was phenomenal. Brolins perfect and has worked with the Coens before...and what's with all the Matt Damon haters? I've always thought he's a pretty solid actor, maybe a little stoic at times but overall delivers. I think he'll be able to pull off LaBoeuf with ease.

As for the " you can't remake a John Wayne movie" or the "no one can play Rooster but The Duke" crowd here's my opinion; The '69 version was just ok at best. It doesn't follow the Portis book exactly, Glen Campbell and Kim Darby stink up the silver screen with Wayne and Duval barely saving it from disaster. It was not one of Waynes best let's face it. The Searchers, Red River and numerous other put it to shame. No fault of The Dukes just not the best screenplay, directing, CASTING, ect...

I think this one will he spot on and follow the book much better...have the dark tone that a little girl on a mission for revenge should have, ect...

Do I wish The Duke could somehow be in the Coens version?...absolutely, without a doubt. But will I go to see this anyway?...for sure!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love westerns and wish they would make more. I really wish they would make the rest of the Cole/Hitch series.

Without a doubt, one of my very favorite movies! :thumb:

First off I am a HUGE John Wayne fan...I've been watchin The Duke since I was a baby. I know we hav a few JW nuts in here (JB and GED) and I'm right up there...anyone that knows we would tell ya I'm a Wayne freak...but...

I'm personally very excited about this movie. I would love to see westerns make a come back and this could be a great step towards that (big name directors, Academy Award winner in first billed role, ect)...

The Coen Bros are great...No Country is one of the best "western-ish" movies ever made.

I think the casting is spot on...I used to have a problem with Bridges in some of his roles but lately he's really come into his own...Crazyheart was phenomenal. Brolins perfect and has worked with the Coens before...and what's with all the Matt Damon haters? I've always thought he's a pretty solid actor, maybe a little stoic at times but overall delivers. I think he'll be able to pull off LaBoeuf with ease.

As for the " you can't remake a John Wayne movie" or the "no one can play Rooster but The Duke" crowd here's my opinion; The '69 version was just ok at best. It doesn't follow the Portis book exactly, Glen Campbell and Kim Darby stink up the silver screen with Wayne and Duval barely saving it from disaster. It was not one of Waynes best let's face it. The Searchers, Red River

Ah! A John Ford fan, huh?

For the record, I'm not exactly a bigga JW nut as others. I can probably count on one finger my very favorites of his. Well...maybe both hands, but I'd have a finger or two left. ;)

The thing about JW is he stood for decency and morals. Sure, he'll kill any sonovabitch that messes with him, but when folks mind their manners, they don't get hurt. Duke had a very simple code of conduct. Do what your told, when your told and don't screw up.

In today's society, we need more John Waynes in the world. :bowdown:

Latest posts

Top Bottom