Travel trailers/Toy haulers ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The tires will alter your towing capacity because of how they effect the gearing. Big tires slow things down. You will have better top end, but less bottom end, where you will need it.

If you a 3.73 with 35" tires, you are running more like a 31" tire with 3:08s (rough guestimate). I would suggest looking into what gear your rear end has and possibly changing it to a higher numerical gear to compensate for those big tires. it would reduce the strain on the engine.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The tires will alter your towing capacity because of how they effect the gearing. Big tires slow things down. You will have better top end, but less bottom end, where you will need it.

If you a 3.73 with 35" tires, you are running more like a 31" tire with 3:08s (rough guestimate). I would suggest looking into what gear your rear end has and possibly changing it to a higher numerical gear to compensate for those big tires. it would reduce the strain on the engine.

Yea 35's would warrant 410's. Might be cheaper to go back to a more normal size tire.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a 5th wheel for a few years Enjoed it a lot. Roof had a failure while under warranty and the company just totaled it rather than replace it. If we buy another we're both in agreement to just buying a mid-save pull behind.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you'll enjoy towing anything enclosed with a half ton. An open car hauler is okay, but an enclosed travel trailer is going to catch a lot of wind. A bumper pull version is going wag the tail too. Not only are you getting half ton suspension and capacity, you're getting half ton cooling and brakes. People will usually go further from home with a travel trailer than they will with a car, boat or a couple of 4 wheelers. I might tow a little more toward the higher end of the capacity limit if I were taking a boat to the local lake than I would taking a TT for Yosemite.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think you'll enjoy towing anything enclosed with a half ton. An open car hauler is okay, but an enclosed travel trailer is going to catch a lot of wind. A bumper pull version is going wag the tail too. Not only are you getting half ton suspension and capacity, you're getting half ton cooling and brakes. People will usually go further from home with a travel trailer than they will with a car, boat or a couple of 4 wheelers. I might tow a little more toward the higher end of the capacity limit if I were taking a boat to the local lake than I would taking a TT for Yosemite.

I've seen a couple slide through an intersection hauling big trailers and the brakes smoking. Scary as hell. 3/4 ton and one tons have larger brakes for a reason. But you'll still some dumb redneck doing it with a half to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom