Flooring a trailer suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to floor this trailer.
Any suggestions? I'm thinking something like 1/8" - 3/16" sheet metal?
maybe wood would be cheaper, but how long would that last?
I don't really wanna make it super heavy because it's not that heavy duty of a trailer.
let me know what you think
IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_3427.jpeg

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the length and width that you need?

I might have just what you are looking for, on the cheap. I have an old oil field tank that was rusted out around the bottom but the sidewalls are good and solid. I split the side to unroll it out flat so I could drag it off, out of sight. I figured I would use it for something at some point.

It‘s at my place in Bristow. I will be there next Thursday or Friday to get measurements and pictures if you are interested.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my stock trailer I put in rubber flooring, it’s got cleats on it so the cattle won’t slip and slide. I think I also saw some rubber flooring without the cleats.

Got mine from a place between Duncan and Lawton, don’t know where you’re at though.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the length and width that you need?

I might have just what you are looking for, on the cheap. I have an old oil field tank that was rusted out around the bottom but the sidewalls are good and solid. I split the side to unroll it out flat so I could drag it off, out of sight. I figured I would use it for something at some point.

It‘s at my place in Bristow. I will be there next Thursday or Friday to get measurements and pictures if you are interested.
40ish feet long. Can't remeber the xact width
i'm interested. Lmk

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put treated lumber in my trailor over 15 years ago and it is still good after sitting in the weather everyday and being used 9 to 10 months out of the year. Metal floor are real slippery when any kind of moisture is on it.

This is probably the best way to go,,,
Pressure treated lumber is pricey,,,
But worth it in the long run.

Aarond

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like steel treadplate. So glad i did that on my trailer.
I can haul sand and crush and remove it easy also.

I have built many with wood and got great service from non treated lumber.
But I rolled on used transmission fluid and engine oil to that non treated wood.

I do like steel tread plate much better

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like steel treadplate. So glad i did that on my trailer.
I can haul sand and crush and remove it easy also.

I have built many with wood and got great service from non treated lumber.
But I rolled on used transmission fluid and engine oil to that non treated wood.

I do like steel tread plate much better
I’ve got 10 trailers and have always used treated lumber, but with the way the last few have held up (or I should say not held up), I’m not sure it matters anymore whether the lumber is treated or not. My uncle used to have a source for burnt oil, and he would “painted” it on the floors of his trailers. I can’t ever remember him replacing trailer floors like I have to.

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://mazielumber.wixsite.com/mazielumber
Mazie Lumber Co is from what I’ve heard the only lumber company that carries #1 grade lumber. Probably, 20+ years ago when my dad wanted to redeck his trailer we found the treated lumber at HD and Lowe’s was pretty sad. He called up somebody and they told him the trailer suppliers got their lumber from Mazie. That deck is still in great shape. Being from the trucking industry he also used the same screws used on flatbeds to secure their wood decks.

I also have a smaller trailer with a wood deck and I think it’s untreated lumber. It’s held up for at least 30 years because I replaced it back in high school.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
40ish feet long. Can't remeber the xact width
i'm interested. Lmk
I don’t think what i have is 40’ long, but it is pretty wide so might be able to finish the last of it in sections. And for the right deal, I can have my torch and welder there so we could even get it on the trailer for you.

I’ll touch base when I get over there next week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom