Tribal hunting/fishing compacts expiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the tribe wants to give its members free licenses. Have the member buy it full price like everyone else then write them a check to reimburse them. There its solved.

Have you looked at the compact for this? If not, you don't have a clue what the tribe is paying for each license.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Governor Stitt doesn't have money for commercials like the tribes

I never said he did . . . and fully understand that he doesn't have the money.

and maybe the tribes are using the hunting and fishing compacts as leverage, that can go both ways.

Never said it couldn't go both ways. That's how negotiations work.

I am disguised with all the people who think Stitt isn't handling this right.

I don't have a problem with him wanting to renegotiate the compacts. What I have a problem with is him not doing a better job of explaining what his goal is and fully discussing where he's coming from and why.

If you have a disagreement you say it and go on. The tribes weren't going to agree anyway, lets go to court and get it over, and I agree with Stitt that you don't have a compact with no expiration. And if I understand that the tribes only pay 3-6% of gross take, they have a great deal. Oklahoma is losing at that game. lol

With as many tribal governments that Oklahoma has it's no wonder why the state is losing . . .

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep seeing comments that the state got the money for the licenses.
The ODWC is 100% funded by license sales, revenue obtained from investments that come from lifetime license sales and federal funds from the Pittman/Robertson act.
Allowing the state to get the money from the state would be massive lost revenue to the ODW.
The ODW does not get any state tax money or legislative funding from the state.

According to this the ODWC gets the money . . .

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This compact aside I would argue that the tribes contribute more to the well being and and services provided for the citizens of this state than our own elected government does. Roads, scholarships, donations to public schools not to mention the jobs and revenue they generate. Seems to me they are better at the business of governing and fiduciary responsibility than the ones we have put in office.

JMHO

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree fully with that. Anything the tribe does is fruit from a poisonous tree. The way they gain their money is gambling and smoking. The scourge that those things are on society is not worth anything they kick back to the citizenry. Broken homes, empty bank accounts, cancer, and the list goes on. Besides had people not woefully wasted all their money on those ill advised things. They could have used it for something else and the taxes generated would pay for those services. Instead of all the associated costs with addiction that comes from what they are purveyors of.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bull . . . it's a license bought by the tribe from the state . . . for residents of the state who happen to be tribal members.

Not bull. The tribe pays the state $2 for each license and then also pays an additional admin cost payment to ODWC, the equivalent of $4 per license over the life of the compact. $6 for a license the rest of us pay $42 for (combo hunting/fishing).

I fully appreciate all the work the tribes are doing in regards to healthcare, education and infrastructure throughout the state and I would have no problems if these licenses were intended for hunting and fishing on tribal lands...but if you hunt the same places the rest of us hunt the license should be the same.

Now, of course, the other element here is whether or not ODWC would have otherwise sold that many licenses at the regular price. If they would have, then they are losing money. If they wouldn't have, then yes the compact could be a good thing.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree fully with that. Anything the tribe does is fruit from a poisonous tree. The way they gain their money is gambling and smoking. The scourge that those things are on society is not worth anything they kick back to the citizenry. Broken homes, empty bank accounts, cancer, and the list goes on. Besides had people not woefully wasted all their money on those ill advised things. They could have used it for something else and the taxes generated would pay for those services. Instead of all the associated costs with addiction that comes from what they are purveyors of.

I've no intent of arguing the morality or methods by which the tribes generate a significant portion of their revenue. FWIW, the state government generates no revenue and they are fully funded off the backs of the constituents, including the taxes and fees paid them by the tribes. One must also consider the fact that a large portion of the tobacco and gambling revenue comes from people who do not live in OK and would otherwise not spend money on other goods and services within the state boundaries.

My only argument is what is done after the collection of the ill gotten gains on both sides. In my opinion (as stated previously) the tribes are more apt to contribute to the welfare of the citizens of this state, both tribal members and non-tribal members.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not bull. The tribe pays the state $2 for each license and then also pays an additional admin cost payment to ODWC, the equivalent of $4 per license over the life of the compact. $6 for a license the rest of us pay $42 for (combo hunting/fishing).

I fully appreciate all the work the tribes are doing in regards to healthcare, education and infrastructure throughout the state and I would have no problems if these licenses were intended for hunting and fishing on tribal lands...but if you hunt the same places the rest of us hunt the license should be the same.

Now, of course, the other element here is whether or not ODWC would have otherwise sold that many licenses at the regular price. If they would have, then they are losing money. If they wouldn't have, then yes the compact could be a good thing.
There is a chance that tribes like the Osage’s can or would make it to where you had to be Native American to hunt or fish on tribal land Osage county is a big county

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My only encounters with anything Oklahoma tribal is through BIA Firefighting. Whether Cheyenne/Arapaho, Pawnee or Cherokee, all I can say is that it was an eye opener.

Latest posts

Top Bottom