Tribal hunting/fishing compacts expiring

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a chance that tribes like the Osage’s can or would make it to where you had to be Native American to hunt or fish on tribal land Osage county is a big county

Why would they do that? IIRC, you already have to purchase a tribal hunting license to hunt on Osage owned land. They won't sell it to me at a discount so why should an Oklahoma hunting and fishing license valid on any state land be sold to them at a discount?

Of course that's all academic because I don't think the state has a hunting/fishing discounted license compact with the Osage Nation.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not bull. The tribe pays the state $2 for each license and then also pays an additional admin cost payment to ODWC, the equivalent of $4 per license over the life of the compact. $6 for a license the rest of us pay $42 for (combo hunting/fishing).

So your beef is that you aren't eligible? Do you also hold a grudge against those who get them at no or lower costs due to age? What about those of us who have purchased lifetime licenses?

I fully appreciate all the work the tribes are doing in regards to healthcare, education and infrastructure throughout the state and I would have no problems if these licenses were intended for hunting and fishing on tribal lands...but if you hunt the same places the rest of us hunt the license should be the same.

The license is the same. That's the entire point of the compact.

Now, of course, the other element here is whether or not ODWC would have otherwise sold that many licenses at the regular price. If they would have, then they are losing money. If they wouldn't have, then yes the compact could be a good thing.

The Cherokee Nation compact alone guarantees the sale of 150,000 licenses annually. I haven't looked at the numbers for the Choctaw Nation compact, but I do know that the licenses purchased via each compact are NOT the same. The Choctaw Nation purchases more types of licenses/tags for tribal members than the Cherokee Nation does. So regardless of the overall differences in these and what non-tribal members might buy depending on the tribe you're a member of you may still be required to purchase additional tags/stamps/permits.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would they do that? IIRC, you already have to purchase a tribal hunting license to hunt on Osage owned land. They won't sell it to me at a discount so why should an Oklahoma hunting and fishing license valid on any state land be sold to them at a discount?

Of course that's all academic because I don't think the state has a hunting/fishing discounted license compact with the Osage Nation.
There has been some talk in the past recently where Osage nation was trying to or either going to try to get it to where you would have to buy a permit from them Dennis Hoddy brought it to my attention I can’t remember where he seen it at

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna have to disagree fully with that. Anything the tribe does is fruit from a poisonous tree. The way they gain their money is gambling and smoking. The scourge that those things are on society is not worth anything they kick back to the citizenry. Broken homes, empty bank accounts, cancer, and the list goes on. Besides had people not woefully wasted all their money on those ill advised things. They could have used it for something else and the taxes generated would pay for those services. Instead of all the associated costs with addiction that comes from what they are purveyors of.
Each tribe varies, but there are some who generate revenue from a whole LOT more than you post here. Some own grocery stores, golf courses, farming operations, banks, and other industries to even include the land and building of a quite nice gun range. I know the Chickasaw was a fairly large supplier to the Department of Defense because I consulted for them on some of their finishing operations at one time.

I know the CPN in Shawnee is the sole reason Shawnee even exists today and they are always being sued by the city over something. CPN put in their own water supply system and the city raised holy hell because they lost a lot of customers that didn't have to pay stupid high rates anymore. They repave their own roads which benefits the city and the city raises hell about it. Some of the tribes just want their stuff to be nice and still get hammered. The state has mismanaged it's money for longer than I've been alive and they are always trying to horn in on the tribes, it's like a big pile of money to them and they think they are entitled to it. I just wish the state would realize the assets and benefit they provide and help them instead of trying to "manage" them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to this the ODWC gets the money . . .
Is there a link that didn't get posted? I just saw several posts that said the state was getting the money. Yes the ODW is a state agency, but the inference was that the state was getting the money and not ODW, so I had to assume those posting that may have been seeing something I wasn't and the general budget was getting the money not the ODW.
I just was wanting to get the entire story before further comment.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a link that didn't get posted? I just saw several posts that said the state was getting the money. Yes the ODW is a state agency, but the inference was that the state was getting the money and not ODW, so I had to assume those posting that may have been seeing something I wasn't and the general budget was getting the money not the ODW.
I just was wanting to get the entire story before further comment.
https://www.cherokeephoenix.org/Article/index/113928

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/...-choctaw-nation-agree-hunting-fishing-compact

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin and Choctaw Nation Chief Gary Batton have signed a hunting and fishing compact, which will allow the tribe to buy hunting and fishing licenses at a bulk rate.

The agreement grants the Choctaw Nation the ability to purchase at least 50,000 annual hunting and fishing licenses at $2 apiece for its resident citizens. In addition, the Choctaw Nation will pay a lump sum of $200,000 and an administrative cost payment of $75,000 to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) each year that the three-year compact is in effect.

The compact takes effect January 1, 2017, and runs through December 31, 2019.

Under the compact, the Choctaw Nation will annually purchase at least 50,000 hunting and fishing licenses from the ODWC for all Oklahoma-based Choctaw citizens between the ages of 16 and 64. The hunting and fishing licenses issued through the compact will generate additional federal matching funds for Oklahoma's wildlife conservation efforts.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So your beef is that you aren't eligible? Do you also hold a grudge against those who get them at no or lower costs due to age? What about those of us who have purchased lifetime licenses?

No, I don't have a "beef" and I don't lose sleep over it. I'm just commenting on the fact that hunting and fishing licenses, valid everywhere in the state, are sold at a deeply discounted price to some people solely based on race. We've been told for so long that doing so is wrong. What if it were flipped an a member of the tribe had to pay 7 times more for the same license as a non-tribal member?

A race based discount is entirely different than giving a discount to the elderly or disabled veterans. Surely you can see the logic of that discussion.

Thanks. Clears up that question. In reality, probably a large majority of those permits will never get used and the ODW will get the money no matter what.

That's a good point too. I'd like to see the numbers of how many of these are actually used.

Latest posts

Top Bottom