Trigger spring wear question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwcaq

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to show my new-guy factor with this question, but I'm amongst friends right???

Is there a spring wear issue with leaving a semi-auto cocked and locked for an extended period of time? I heard a guy at the range tonight talking about unloading at night and relieving trigger spring tension. I would prefer not to do that because I've heard other folks talk about bullet setback from rechambering the same round several times. I know I can rotate the cartridges to alleviate the issue somewhat, but I'm still curious.

Am I making something out of nothing, or is it a valid concern?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to show my new-guy factor with this question, but I'm amongst friends right???

Is there a spring wear issue with leaving a semi-auto cocked and locked for an extended period of time? I heard a guy at the range tonight talking about unloading at night and relieving trigger spring tension. I would prefer not to do that because I've heard other folks talk about bullet setback from rechambering the same round several times. I know I can rotate the cartridges to alleviate the issue somewhat, but I'm still curious.

Am I making something out of nothing, or is it a valid concern?

Springs wear from repeated use (expanding/collapsing), not load (assuming that the load is within specs of the spring, and the spring is made from quality spring-steel).

Latest posts

Top Bottom