Trout below Broken Bow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wife and I are going to be staying at the Beavers Bend state park, and hope to do a decent amount of fishing. Any suggestions for what I need to take, and what I can just get there? We are going late in the month, and hope to be able to catch and eat a bunch of Trout. So also, while we are at it, any good recipes or suggestions on cooking them?

Any suggestions about the area would be great, hoping it cools off a bit by then but either way it will be a blast.

Oh, and while I am there, any good places to catch catfish?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just trying to learn to fly fish, so I can't help with that much, but as far as the eating goes.....

Our favorite is to get a large sheet of extra heavy duty foil, put a little olive oil on it, slice up some potatoes, carrots, onions, red and green bell pepper, using half of it for a bottom layer. Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
put a thin layer of sliced lemons next, and put the trout fillets or whole skinned trout on top.
Put another layer of lemons on top of the trout, and add the rest of the potato's, etc.
Use another sheet of foil on top to make a packet and seal the edges tightly.
Put on a medium hot charcoal or propane grill, and cook for 20 minutes on each side, or in an oven at 350 for about 45 minutes.
Its a hobo dinner with trout.:D

Evening hole:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_lowermountainforkriver002.jpg

Power House:
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_lowermountainforkriver008_1.jpg

Our friend that we kept fed while we stayed at Beavers Bend.
[Broken External Image]

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cooking fresh trout:
- gut
- rinse inside and out
- put trout on a grill over a bed of coals. If you must use gas, set it at the lowest temp you can. Be patient.
- the skin will blacken, bubble, lift off the flesh. There is enough fat in the flesh and under the skin to make this work
- turn it once
- when it is done, the skin will be a blackened mess. scrape it off. The meat will fall off the bones.
- cook a bunch of veggies in tin foil while you cook the trout. cut up onions, corn, whatever.

jej

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your a bait fisherman try spillway creek. Look for the deeper pools on spillway. Below the re-regulation dam is a nice big deep pool below a run, I caught a 3 pound rainbow there. Don't bait fish the evening hole area, RED ZONE AREA, thats illegal but you can use artificial lures with barbless hooks. I haven't been since April. If your a fly fisherman go to the flyshop for some advice. I don't know whats working now with the heat. Good luck and give us a report.

Latest posts

Top Bottom