Potentially inheriting 50ish long guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While recently on Oahu, we visited several friends we always see when we return; I was the Schofield Barracks veterinarian 30ish years ago. One is a widow of a friend who died in 2007. This widow has an intracranial tumor that she thinks is going to kill her soon, so she's starting to get affairs in order. She said I could have her late husband's firearm collection. I basically agreed to take them the next time I visit. From what I could see, the gun display cases (crapola piled in front of them and 15 years of dust) largely contain lever-action rifles.

I envision working with an Oahu firearms dealer to pre-arrange purchase of packing materials for that many rifles, hopefully an estate-rate transfer fee, and using their expertise to pick a shipper to send a crate to an Arizona FFL-holder. It might also be good to draft a gift receipt for the widow to sign.

If anybody has experience acquiring a large firearm collection across state lines (or an ocean) please shine some light on how to avoid surprises.

I have no clue what I'll do with 50 more rifles. Perhaps I'll buy a new safe for the best and sell the rest.

Mahalo!

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While recently on Oahu, we visited several friends we always see when we return; I was the Schofield Barracks veterinarian 30ish years ago. One is a widow of a friend who died in 2007. This widow has an intracranial tumor that she thinks is going to kill her soon, so she's starting to get affairs in order. She said I could have her late husband's firearm collection. I basically agreed to take them the next time I visit. From what I could see, the gun display cases (crapola piled in front of them and 15 years of dust) largely contain lever-action rifles.

I envision working with an Oahu firearms dealer to pre-arrange purchase of packing materials for that many rifles, hopefully an estate-rate transfer fee, and using their expertise to pick a shipper to send a crate to an Arizona FFL-holder. It might also be good to draft a gift receipt for the widow to sign.

If anybody has experience acquiring a large firearm collection across state lines (or an ocean) please shine some light on how to avoid surprises.

I have no clue what I'll do with 50 more rifles. Perhaps I'll buy a new safe for the best and sell the rest.

Mahalo!
I was going to make some silly joke about storing them at my house but I’ve used that one too many times. Super sad that your friend is likely going to be passing. As much as it’s just a part of life it’s still sad to see it happen. I’m 37 and I’m at that age where I’m starting to see a lot of people in my life pass away. Lost an uncle and two friends this year. I’m down to one remaining grandparent. Very cool that you will be inheriting such a large quantity of rifles. Maybe pass them down to your family to keep them with the family long after your gone?

Last edited:

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Mahalo!
Congratulations, bittersweet tale. Insure the package for as much as you are able. 🙏🇺🇸😎

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I would just mail the package "to me from me" and skip the prying eyes ffl paperwork!

I hope you and your friend is saved by The Blood of The Lamb!
I need to learn some more about interstate shipping of firearms. Per this rule from the ATF, doing so seems legal: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

That rule speaks to shipping to someone in care of yourself. But, if that is legal, just shipping to yourself would seem legal also. I pondered involving FFL-holders primarily for their packaging and shipping expertise. Perhaps it would work to ship long-gun boxes to my friends house and work with a local moving company to handle the shipment. I believe Fed-Ex, UPS, and USPS either won't ship interstate or require a FFl-holder to be involved.

Thanks to the grace of God, my friend and I are among the Elect. I'm sure about myself anyway!

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to learn some more about interstate shipping of firearms. Per this rule from the ATF, doing so seems legal: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

That rule speaks to shipping to someone in care of yourself. But, if that is legal, just shipping to yourself would seem legal also. I pondered involving FFL-holders primarily for their packaging and shipping expertise. Perhaps it would work to ship long-gun boxes to my friends house and work with a local moving company to handle the shipment. I believe Fed-Ex, UPS, and USPS either won't ship interstate or require a FFl-holder to be involved.

Thanks to the grace of God, my friend and I are among the Elect. I'm sure about myself anyway!
Excellent last line report……….UPS is the safest shipment carrier……any long gun is legally shipped to yourself, handguns not sure about. If these guns are transferred to your ownership in HA, then transportation from/to yourself is legal.
When I have shipped guns in the past, I always used UPS, declared it a “ tool “, to not draw attention, to deter theft, & always insured the package for replacement value.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Hirschkopf im sure you know since you spent some time there, that the Hawaii gun laws are some of the most restrictive in the union. I figure it’s probably a really good idea to ensure you aren’t doing anything illegal/risking charges or forfeiture of your friends firearms when taking ownership or shipping.

One thing I noticed when I was there for our honeymoon, is that locals would visit the mainland, and come back with huge boxes of whatever they needed, paying baggage fees rather than freight/shipping fees. I’m willing to bet it would be cheaper to ship 3-4 pelican cases of rifles at $75/each on the plane with you rather than paying a dealer $10/each plus the shipper another $50 each to get the guns back to the mainland. Also, the guns will get to your destination much faster and be under your direct control the entire time, rather than in the hands of however many people/shippers/transfers and their associated costs. These dollar numbers are completely speculation, but I feel my logic is reasonable.the pelican cases wouldn’t be cheap, but pelican cases are always handy. You could find a foam supplier locally to custom cut foam for you, there’s one next to H and H if you find yourself in town for deer season.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. I’ve never contemplated anything that big. If I had the tools I’d consider Plano cases stacked in a large crate I built. It is gonna cost a bundle however you do it. One at a time to yourself would take all of a vacation. Or would for me anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom