Potentially inheriting 50ish long guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Talking to another member, & he suggested that you get an FFL License , make it easier for you to transport.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I would just mail the package "to me from me" and skip the prying eyes ffl paperwork!

I hope you and your friend is saved by The Blood of The Lamb!
when i went to the barrett precision class, they were talking about shipping a big wooden crate of their guns and ammo they were using for the class. They said it was really easy to just crate them up and have them picked up, you might have an extra step or two but maybe it is as simple as mentioned. There is no way I would try and ship single piece weapons, the cost would be prohibitive. I like the me to me shipping.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to make some silly joke about storing them at my house but I’ve used that one too many times. Super sad that your friend is likely going to be passing. As much as it’s just a part of life it’s still sad to see it happen. I’m 37 and I’m at that age where I’m starting to see a lot of people in my life pass away. Lost an uncle and two friends this year. I’m down to one remaining grandparent. Very cool that you will be inheriting such a large quantity of rifles. Maybe pass them down to your family to keep them with the family long after your gone?
dang Kid

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd make sure I was the to watch the ups guy pick them up if they are valuable.
Sometimes they're trustworthy and sometimes you get a box of rusty water pipes.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is an option for you. When I lived in CA I used a company called DHX (Dependable Hawaiian Express to ship (container ship) many pieces of construction equipment I sold to customers in Hawaii. Different customers on the four major islands. Used DHX when it was less than a shipping container or palletized shipments. THe were very competitive and easy to work with. When my dad was building our house and needed to ship furniture or other large tools and equipment that were LTL he also uses DHX. THey were doing a great job for him back in the 80's and 90's.

DHX has a sister company or another division called DGX (Dependable Global Express) that seems to be thier air freight portion of the company. The DGX is the group you'd want to call to ask them questions about logistics and get a quote. I assume they are as easy to work with as DHX was for me. Not exactly sure how it works to get from HI to AZ but assume your container would be flown from HI to Los Angeles then either forwared by plane to AZ or possible a semi to AZ. Something you'll have to ask them if you call.

One thing that was mentioned on their website was that if shipping firearms they will only transport them if they are a legal firearm to own in CA. But do verify. In the end, since you will be shipping a crate of firearms that may weigh upwards of 3-400 lbs anyway you ship it may have to go through CA to get to your final destination of AZ so keep that in mind.

On the actual packing of the rifles. I would not get a local FFL in HI involved if not legally required to do so. Maybe ask them so very generic questions but that's it. Depending on exactly how many rifles and thier sizes I would buy one of the large Jobox steel containers contractor use to store tools in in their bed of their trucks or on jobsites. They are sturdy. nearly theft proof and would keep your guns safe. I'd order off Amazon, whatever number of soft sided rifle cases you needed and have them shipped to the address in HI. Once in HI I'd go to walmart and get a either a big roll of bubble wrap or 10 or so cheap throw type blankets for added padding. Stick all the rifles in the soft cases, put them in the Jobox and layer the cases in the container with layers of blankets or bubble wrap. Because I'm anal, I'd probably go and get a 20# back of white rice and fill up 5-6 white athletic socks to help absorb any moisture in the container during shipping and storage. Would it help? No idea but would make me feel better. Hope any of this help.

DGX/DHX website.
https://www.dgxglobal.com/

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to make some silly joke about storing them at my house but I’ve used that one too many times. Super sad that your friend is likely going to be passing. As much as it’s just a part of life it’s still sad to see it happen. I’m 37 and I’m at that age where I’m starting to see a lot of people in my life pass away. Lost an uncle and two friends this year. I’m down to one remaining grandparent. Very cool that you will be inheriting such a large quantity of rifles. Maybe pass them down to your family to keep them with the family long after your gone?
You would just trade em for Target gift cards. Lol

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an option for you. When I lived in CA I used a company called DHX (Dependable Hawaiian Express to ship (container ship) many pieces of construction equipment I sold to customers in Hawaii. Different customers on the four major islands. Used DHX when it was less than a shipping container or palletized shipments. THe were very competitive and easy to work with. When my dad was building our house and needed to ship furniture or other large tools and equipment that were LTL he also uses DHX. THey were doing a great job for him back in the 80's and 90's.

DHX has a sister company or another division called DGX (Dependable Global Express) that seems to be thier air freight portion of the company. The DGX is the group you'd want to call to ask them questions about logistics and get a quote. I assume they are as easy to work with as DHX was for me. Not exactly sure how it works to get from HI to AZ but assume your container would be flown from HI to Los Angeles then either forwared by plane to AZ or possible a semi to AZ. Something you'll have to ask them if you call.

One thing that was mentioned on their website was that if shipping firearms they will only transport them if they are a legal firearm to own in CA. But do verify. In the end, since you will be shipping a crate of firearms that may weigh upwards of 3-400 lbs anyway you ship it may have to go through CA to get to your final destination of AZ so keep that in mind.

On the actual packing of the rifles. I would not get a local FFL in HI involved if not legally required to do so. Maybe ask them so very generic questions but that's it. Depending on exactly how many rifles and thier sizes I would buy one of the large Jobox steel containers contractor use to store tools in in their bed of their trucks or on jobsites. They are sturdy. nearly theft proof and would keep your guns safe. I'd order off Amazon, whatever number of soft sided rifle cases you needed and have them shipped to the address in HI. Once in HI I'd go to walmart and get a either a big roll of bubble wrap or 10 or so cheap throw type blankets for added padding. Stick all the rifles in the soft cases, put them in the Jobox and layer the cases in the container with layers of blankets or bubble wrap. Because I'm anal, I'd probably go and get a 20# back of white rice and fill up 5-6 white athletic socks to help absorb any moisture in the container during shipping and storage. Would it help? No idea but would make me feel better. Hope any of this help.

DGX/DHX website.
https://www.dgxglobal.com/
Wow! Lots of great information. Kind of ideas I was hoping for. Thanks!!

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would just trade em for Target gift cards. Lol
$200 with his name on it

Season 6 Episode 20 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Edit: that’s for all 50 of course. I’m already losing money on this. Do it before I change my mind

Latest posts

Top Bottom