Truck Tents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geeze. She took 15:39 to get about 40 seconds of useful info in there! Thank God for FFWD and that preview box...
The only thing I did differently was to split the top spar in two with a coupling.
Screwed a couple of eyehooks into that coupling to hand a small LED lantern from and maybe a small storage net too.

Make sure the tarp is plenty long.
The extra at the back can be folded back or fastened together in case of rain.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I did differently was to split the top spar in two with a coupling.
Screwed a couple of eyehooks into that coupling to hand a small LED lantern from and maybe a small storage net too.

Make sure the tarp is plenty long.
The extra at the back can be folded back or fastened together in case of rain.

You could also get a really really long one and strap it to the front of the bed and go over "doubling up" making a covered area in front of the tailgate. Tie it off on trees or fab some poles.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes it's my place, at least 1/2 of it. Clearing isn't going to be easy even with a dozer. The mountains in SE OK are just huge rocks that have jutted up out of the ground. I'm right on top of one.

We've done the tarp thing on the ground, they just get torn up too. My BIL once had a french style rendezvous lodge back when he was into blackpowder. It didn't have a floor and honestly that's the way to go, but water will run through in heavy rains. A truck tent with no floor will let you just sweep out the bed to clean up and as mentioned a throw mat or two can also be swept or shaken for cleanup.

I still say canvas tent on the ground. IMO, a canvas tent without a floor is really on good if the weather is very cold. Wet weather with lots of rain is miserable.

We use two Montana canvas tents in Cookson area for deer camp. We use two layers of 4 mil plastic and one or two poly tarps on top of them with out door carpet on the top. To keep sticks, acorns, rocks or any other things from poking up through the plastic or tarps we usually spread out one or two of the compressed alfalfa bales on the ground where the footprint of the tent is. We have had some intense rains for hours on end and it is bone dry in the tents and on the floors.

If you are hunting the same property year after year you may want to spend some time to really cleanup and clear a nice foot print area for a tent to get rid of all the nasty, pokey stuff as well as install some tent anchors in the ground that are semi permanent. That way your tent setup is quick and easy with a water proof system.

easy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shadowrider - I have a similar style made by a different company, bough it nearly 15 years ago. All ripstop nylon with aluminum shock corded poles and rain fly. Tent is good for 40 mph driving down the road. Sets up easy enough and does the job. Sorry can't remember the name right now, but I'll try to get out to the storage box tomorrow and get the info for you.

I like mine. Store in a 'large' sleeping bag style stuff sack. Makes a nice cozy cabin during poor weather.

https://www.google.com/search?q=adventure+truck+tent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Seems that they are now out of business. Link says Cabela's sells them over the phone.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shadowrider - I have a similar style made by a different company, bough it nearly 15 years ago. All ripstop nylon with aluminum shock corded poles and rain fly. Tent is good for 40 mph driving down the road. Sets up easy enough and does the job. Sorry can't remember the name right now, but I'll try to get out to the storage box tomorrow and get the info for you.

I like mine. Store in a 'large' sleeping bag style stuff sack. Makes a nice cozy cabin during poor weather.

https://www.google.com/search?q=adventure+truck+tent&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Seems that they are now out of business. Link says Cabela's sells them over the phone.

Take care of it!

We have gone out of business with our Adventure Truck Tents, but will still have tent poles available until our spare parts stock runs out, if you need them. Call us at 1-619-437-4866.

Our Adventure Truck Tents consistently received the hightest customer satisfaction ratings for the 12 years we sold them. This was because our design and its development by our manufacturing partner was of the highest quality. We thank the 17,000 customers who purchased one of our tents. The tents are quite durable, so you may find them listed on ebay or such sites from time to time. If so, the page on our site regarding sizing will help you in determining if a tent will fit your particular truck.

http://adventure1trucktent.com/

Latest posts

Top Bottom