Tulsa Airport now prohibitied?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That did not keep the airport operations department from posting the public or "landside" of the terminal, pursuant to a meeting and approval by the city attorney's office (so I've heard).

Anyone caught carrying in the terminal at this point might find themselves becoming a test case. The TSA sided with Atlanta-Hartsfield in their gun prohibition and so did the court. The GA state pre-emption laws may not be as strong as ours and their SDA is surely written differently. You may be correct, question is, do you want to be the one to find out?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That did not keep the airport operations department from posting the public or "landside" of the terminal, pursuant to a meeting and approval by the city attorney's office (so I've heard).

Anyone caught carrying in the terminal at this point might find themselves becoming a test case. The TSA sided with Atlanta-Hartsfield in their gun prohibition and so did the court. The GA state pre-emption laws may not be as strong as ours and their SDA is surely written differently. You may be correct, question is, do you want to be the one to find out?

That's a good question. I respect your position on the matter, but having not seen the sign, I don't know if it has anything on it that says "pursuant to federal bla bla bla" on it. If so, then that would be the law/reg that I was hoping someone would cite.

If it just says "pursuant to a meeting and approval by the city attorney's office" or anything to that nature, then I'm sorry, but the meeting and city attorney's office can't make laws - nor should the city attorney be interpreting them (that's for a specific branch of our state government) and this issue was never unclear in the past (IMHO). There was a lot of speculation, but there has never been any "hard evidence" that I've seen where a law says you can't carry in the airport (federal or state).

If its just a gun-buster sign, then the laws of Oklahoma kick in and I would think that the land-side of the airport would all be subject to Oklahoma's laws and would not fall under TSA/FAA since the land-side is almost 100% commercial/private and not government in any way.

If a "100ft from the security gate" law was created, then I could see it, but again, I haven't read anything that tells me this is anything other than OK state laws that rule on our side of the security checkpoint.

Hypothetically, at the point of being caught - who would do anything to me? Would it be City, State, or Federal authorities?

If its the city and they do more than ask me to leave (per OK state laws), the city could be leaving themselves open for a serious civil suit. Hopefully a CCW member wouldn't do that (I wouldn't) - but it would certainly make the necessary point.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It would be Tulsa Airport Authority LEO's (city police). TSA does not regulate the landside of airports. All they do is provide guidelines and recommendations. Anything airside falls under 49 C.F.R. regulations.

TSA had nothing to do with posting the landside terminal, but in a court battle, they would I suppose side with the airport's (for what that's worth). I'm not exactly sure what the airport LEO's would do in the case of a SDA permit holder entering the terminal with a loaded firearm. That might be a good question to ask the Tulsa Airport Authority Board of Directors, or a city counselor.

In my position, it's outside the scope of my authority to recommend for or against posting the terminal. Those of you on this board know and understand my personal views, but I cannot allow that to intercede in my professional dealings with the airport. No one in a position of authority has asked my personal opinion, so I keep it to myself.

This is not an enjoyable topic for me and I've probably already said more than I should. If you have more specific questions (that I may or may not be able to answer), feel free to PM me.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be Tulsa Airport Authority LEO's (city police). TSA does not regulate the landside of airports. All they do is provide guidelines and recommendations. Anything airside falls under 49 C.F.R. regulations.

TSA had nothing to do with posting the landside terminal, but in a court battle, they would I suppose side with the airport's (for what that's worth). I'm not exactly sure what the airport LEO's would do in the case of a SDA permit holder entering the terminal with a loaded firearm. That might be a good question to ask the Tulsa Airport Authority Board of Directors, or a city counselor.

In my position, it's outside the scope of my authority to recommend for or against posting the terminal. Those of you on this board know and understand my personal views, but I cannot allow that to intercede in my professional dealings with the airport. No one in a position of authority has asked my personal opinion, so I keep it to myself.

This is not an enjoyable topic for me and I've probably already said more than I should. If you have more specific questions (that I may or may not be able to answer), feel free to PM me.

I get what you're saying man - and like I said, I respect your opinion on the matter based on how this situation affects you - and to be honest, more so because you're an established member on this board.

My main point is that so long as its outside the Security checkpoint, its not a matter of Federal authority (where CCW is concerned). I just hear a lot of arguments like "its the airport, so its federal, end of discussion", and that's not the case.

At that point, it falls under city/state laws, and then the only argument is whether or not the land-side of the airport is "the city doing business with the public". Because if its not, then its just another gun-buster sign placed there by someone.

The fact that the City had a hand in putting the sign there (to me) means that they have way overstepped their bounds as I don't feel in any way that they have a right to any input on the matter.

Stepping away from my opinion though, it does make for a powerful argument that the city's involvement may mean that the city thinks that the land-side of the airport is there for the city to do business with the public - which would mean a much bigger issue - and I see your point.

Personally, I think that someone needs to take on this matter as it appears to me to be a very clearly defined "private companies making a profit at a location" and yet the city thinks that it is "the city doing business with the public".

I never go to Tulsa Airport without having to fly, so since I have to pass the checkpoint (and I don't fancy getting body-cavity searched), I don't ever carry at the airport period. Its a good question for some of our budding young lawyers on here to contact the NRA and see if they feel its worth the trouble though (again, in my not-having-passed-the-bar opinion).

spastik monkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I agree entirely. I have never been to the airport not to fly, so I wouldn't have a reason to carry in the terminal either.

Rshep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't want to be the one to beat a dead horse or whatever the saying is but since I stumbled across this thread looking for this very answer I thought I'd ask if anyone had heard anymore on carrying at the airport before the security check. I am going to pick up one of my roommates tomorrow and still being new to carrying I don't want to do something I'm not supposed to.

anyone have any new insight?

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't want to be the one to beat a dead horse or whatever the saying is but since I stumbled across this thread looking for this very answer I thought I'd ask if anyone had heard anymore on carrying at the airport before the security check. I am going to pick up one of my roommates tomorrow and still being new to carrying I don't want to do something I'm not supposed to.

anyone have any new insight?

Stay in your car,no reason to go in and wait for luggage with him. Steve

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend aganst carrying into the terminal building. They have posted the gunbuster signs. The difference between the terminal and a business is that it's a public building owned by the city and law enforcement is present.

Rshep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses, I'm just gonna sit in the car and wait for him to come out. the advice is much appreciated!

Latest posts

Top Bottom