U of Miami, Death Penalty ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Strippers, prostitutes, decadent parties on the yacht. If all the allegations against the University of Miami turn out to be true, the NCAA may have to add another chapter to the rule book when it comes to defining what exactly constitutes extra benefits for college athletes.

Not to worry, though. The organization is already on the case, and no doubt will be helped along by an extraordinarily detailed Yahoo Sports expose of a Miami athletic program where cash was king and the partying never seemed to stop.

No word yet on whether they put Inspector Clouseau or Barney Fife in charge, but for five months the NCAA has been diligently conducting its own probe of the Hurricanes and this time it means business. It really does.

“If the assertions are true, the alleged conduct at the University of Miami is an illustration of the need for serious and fundamental change in many critical aspects of college sports,” NCAA president Mark Emmert said in a statement.

Just what those changes might be, Emmert didn’t say. Certainly, though, prostitutes and strippers weren’t at the top of the agenda when presidents of major universities met last week in what was supposed to be a first step in reforming major college athletics.
That’s not to say Miami will get off easy once the NCAA finishes its investigation. The Yahoo Sports report is so damaging that the football program could be grounded for years based on it alone. There will surely even be a call for the NCAA’s so-called “death penalty,” which has not been used since the Southern Methodist University football program was decimated by it a quarter-century ago.

If ever a program deserves to be shut down, Miami might be the one, given the range of accusations made by convicted Ponzi con man and Miami booster Nevin Shapiro and told to Yahoo Sports. Based on his tell-all, there wasn’t much that top football players and other athletes at Miami lacked for over the years.

Most boosters hand out $100 bills. Shapiro went much further, treating players to strip club parties, paying for prostitutes and catering to their every need. In one case, Shapiro told the website, he even paid for an abortion for a woman one of his players had impregnated.

Much of it allegedly happened under the watch of former Miami athletic director Paul Dee, who would go on to - no, we’re not making this up - become chairman of the NCAA’s committee on infractions. It was from that position last year that Dee came down hard on the University of Southern California in the Reggie Bush case, saying then that “higher-profile players require higher-profile monitoring.”

It the allegations prove correct, that makes Dee either a hypocrite or someone who was stunningly unaware of what was taking place right under his nose. Either way, it doesn’t do much to inspire confidence in the enforcement efforts of the NCAA.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ege-football/2011/08/17/gIQAORh9LJ_story.html

DRT2007

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is no chance the NCAA will give Miami the death penalty. As bad as the case against them is, it's still not even close to what was going on at SMU.

DRT2007

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look at USC. That was one player, this was at least 70 players spread out. I think the death penalty is very possible.

The situation in Miami involves one booster. SMU involved board members, multiple boosters, and several warnings leading up to the death penalty.
I just really don't see the NCAA pulling that card again.

Here is a short portion of an article I recently read about it:

"In the nine years I served on the (NCAA) committee on infractions I never saw another one that was even close to what occurred in the SMU case," said University of Oklahoma law professor David Swank, a former NCAA vice president.

As serious as the Miami case looks, Swank said the violations Shapiro claims to have been a part of are not severe enough to warrant the Hurricanes being treated the same way as the Mustangs.

"In that case you had the involvement of basically members of the board of trustees and the regents," he said. "And it was repeat violations which made it a very serious case."

SMU had been sanctioned multiple times in the 10 years leading up to receiving the death penalty for recruiting violations, including being placed on three years' probation in 1985. But the money kept flowing because school officials, including former Texas Gov. Bill Clements, the head of SMU's board, were afraid that players already on the payroll would expose the cheating if they were cut off.

Miami football was hit with NCAA sanctions in 1995 after a financial aid scandal involving at least 50 players. The Hurricanes received three-year's probation, a one-season bowl ban and were stripped of 24 scholarships.

But that involved an entirely different administration at Miami.

At SMU, there was systematic cheating that had been going on for years.

"You had an infractions case and then very shortly thereafter you had a second infractions case involving many of the same people," Swank said.

"At Miami ... it looks like it focuses on one outlaw."

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/15304104/before-miamis-mess-there-was-smus-death-penalty

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Death Penalty for the 'Canes! Couldn't happen to a bigger bunch of thugs, criminals, and a$$holes. I was on their sideline when they broke Troy Aikman's leg back in the mid 80's - their celebration will only be matched by mine after the NCAA press release. :)

Cedar Creek

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NCAA has tossed around the DP in this case already, that is not something they do lightly. I think it is a very real possibilty, the NCAA is friggin pissed off about this case. Miami was on probation at the time these infractions occured.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They need to strap the U of Miami down and stick a needle in it's arm. They need to go "how's this feel U of Miami?"
life is brutal my freinds, and the U of Miami is fitten to find that out.

DRT2007

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The NCAA has tossed around the DP in this case already, that is not something they do lightly. I think it is a very real possibilty, the NCAA is friggin pissed off about this case. Miami was on probation at the time these infractions occured.

Hmm first I've heard about the NCAA actually mentioning the death penalty.

They have admitted that the effects it had on SMU were worse than expected. I just have a hard time believing they would take that chance again.

I do think it's going to be much worse than what was done with USC.

ignerntbend said:
They need to strap the U of Miami down and stick a needle in it's arm. They need to go "how's this feel U of Miami?"
life is brutal my freinds, and the U of Miami is fitten to find that out.

I do hope what I've seen is wrong, and they do hand it out. I'm sick of hearing about "The U"

Latest posts

Top Bottom