U-Verse Internet Anyone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice or experience with U-Verse or other options here?

I live in Shawnee, and hate the local cable co.

I am looking for something different for high speed internet, and it looks like the best I can get is 3mbps with U-Verse for $30/month plus a $100 one time equipment charge. There is no TV available at this time.

I had a bad experience with AT&T/DirectTV a few years ago, but I am desperate to get away from Allegiance.

Thanks.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have great service with ATT U-verse TV/Internet/Phone in Stillwater. Double check to see if you qualify for one of their specials i.e. $200 prepaid Visa and free hookup.

The wireless receiver boxes mean you can get TV anywhere you have an electrical outlet. Like the garage :)

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DSL internet is capped, it will never be able to reach the speeds of cable or fiber. That being said, I haven't had much issue with AT&T U-verse(though my brother has had to replace his modem twice already due to issues). We have their fastest package available and I am able to connect to my work machines remotely with no issues(machines are in CA). 3mbps isn't bad(its fine for just surfing), but if you want the highest quality video stream possible(netflix, hulu, amazon prime, etc), then I would recommend 5mbps or better(it will look like SD quality with 3mbps). YMMV

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DSL internet is capped, it will never be able to reach the speeds of cable or fiber. That being said, I haven't had much issue with AT&T U-verse(though my brother has had to replace his modem twice already due to issues). We have their fastest package available and I am able to connect to my work machines remotely with no issues(machines are in CA). 3mbps isn't bad(its fine for just surfing), but if you want the highest quality video stream possible(netflix, hulu, amazon prime, etc), then I would recommend 5mbps or better(it will look like SD quality with 3mbps). YMMV

You do know AT&T uses fiber for Uverse right?

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/fiber-technology.jsp

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You do know AT&T uses fiber for Uverse right?

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/fiber-technology.jsp

Not everywhere, and not where I live. They still use the old phone lines.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I might give it a try. I will lose some speed, but I've gotta do something different. Allegiance wants $75 for me to keep my internet at 6 Mbps, and I am tired of paying them for their crappy service.

I plan on going with Roku and Hulu or Amazon for TV with a HD antenna for local channels, since U-Verse doesn't have TV service here.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not everywhere, and not where I live. They still use the old phone lines.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I might give it a try. I will lose some speed, but I've gotta do something different. Allegiance wants $75 for me to keep my internet at 6 Mbps, and I am tired of paying them for their crappy service.

I plan on going with Roku and Hulu or Amazon for TV with a HD antenna for local channels, since U-Verse doesn't have TV service here.

I would be very cautious switching to the DSL from AT&T, if you plan on switching to streaming video with a ROKU or any other streaming player. If you have an HD set...there could be times or all the time where you get crappy quality because the player has to stream lower quality because of bandwidth limitations. wouldn't want you to have to spend all that money on setup fees and visits, only to find out you have to stream low quality. I am thinking you will have to get the DSL Elite, the highest speed available, and hope its not a throttling speed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom