Ultrasonic vs Vibrating Cleaner/tumbler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboyweasel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons for each?

From what I have gathered the ultrasonic is more expensive but cleans much quicker. It also can clean gun parts if you get one that's big enough to fit them.

I don't know how often one would need to change either media (liquid for the ultrasonic and corn cob or walnut for the vibrating) so I don't know if the ultrasonic's more expensive liquid lasts longer or what.

I'm looking to clean all sorts of brass for both reloading and the wife thinks she might be able to make some jewelry so there will be some rimfire cartridges in the mix as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me, unless the cases are coverd in mud, anything that requires me to get the cases wet and then dry them out is a huge amount of time and effort I would rather skip.

For cases that I pick up after I have just shot them, I can clean them DRY in walnut shells while I clean my guns or do something else, and they can be used immediately to reload after cleaning. Easy and simple.

There are people who cannot reload a case unless it looks brand new inside and out, but I don't live in their world.:wave:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer the dry media tumbler as well, but I do want an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning BCG's and my steel challenge gun. I have a volquartsen brake on a Ruger Mark III hunter that gets pretty nasty after a couple of matches. The ultrasonic cleaner gets it nice and clean in a short period of time.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of the big ultrasonic cleaners from Harbor Freight and it works well for small pistols, bolt carrier groups and brass. For the gun parts, I use low odor mineral spirits and for cleaning the brass, I make a mixture of white vinegar, liquid laundry detergent and hydrogen peroxide. I fill the cleaner about a third full of vinegar, put in a capful of the liquid laundry detergent and about a cup full of hydrogen peroxide. You can leave out the peroxide, but it speeds up the process by adding oxygen to the chemestry according to my son the chemist.. Dont leave the cases in overly long or it will make them ugly. Rinse in warm water and dry. It does a good job of removing the dark tarnish from brass picked up from outdoor ranges. For the vibratory tumbler, which I use most for my brass, I use ground walnut media, I buy Lizzard Litter in 25 pound bags from Petsmart way cheaper than I can buy the stuff marked for reloading. If I want an exceptiional polish, I add some liquid car wax to the mix, just a few capfuls. When the media gets dirty and starts leaving a dull finish, I put in an ounce or two of the low odor mineral spirits and it rejuvinates the media for quite a while. If you decide to use ground corn cob media, make sure the size of the particles won't get stuck in your brass. I spent a few hours clearing a large batch of 223 that I stuck some of the corn cob particles in... It was commercially packaged and labeled as tumbling media.. Blitzfike

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out with a vibratory tumbler and then jumped on the ultrasonic cleaning craze...it didn't last long. The main advantage it has is the ability to clean the primer pockets. For me this is a non issue for pistol rounds. Drying the brass is also a major inconvenience. I have found that using a cap full of Nu Finish car polish and a used dryer sheet in the tumbler gets brass to shine like new.

cowboyweasel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgot to say thanks to everyone who answered. I got an ultrasonic cleaner because I want the cartridges to be really clean and hopefully good jewelry pieces. Happy wife = happy Cowboy = more range time together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom