Under the Persimmon trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a small grove of Persimmon trees that I've got a stand over right next to a watershed. The persimmons were starting to drop last week and I noticed the cows hitting them hard, so I put a camera on them to see what I've been missing. Last fall there were beavers in the pond that had exhausted all forms of food except for the hardwoods. Around deer season last year, they started munching on my Persimmon trees. I taped some metal stove pipe flashing and chicken wire around the tree bases and it saved them, luckily.

This is also sort of a mini-camera review. This summer I purchased a Bushnell Trophy cam to test out. I've had terrible experiences with Bushnell cams in the past, but I was willing to give their new camera one shot. Fortunately, the camera has lived up to expectations after being out in the woods for a couple months. Battery life is excellent, sensing range is great and the pictures are very nice. Up till now I've only been satisfied with Cuddeback No Flash cameras, but I'm happy to recommend Bushnell's Trophy cam.

I've got all sorts of animals coming in to feed on the persimmons. We just had a full moon, so I'm sure that aided to the night time visitors.

A good looking coyote, hopefully they don't have mange this year.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IM000128.jpg

A really fat coon, my boss has already volunteered to take him out.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IM000205.jpg

Some of the does hanging around. That one clearly new that camera wasn't supposed to be there.

[Broken External Image]

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IM000171.jpg

I also got lucky and got some buck pics. I knew this little guy was hanging around, I saw him last weekend. But, I had no idea the other 2 were hanging around. The big one is an absolute bruiser for my neck of the woods. They don't usually survive that long around here with the amount of hunting pressure. I don't know where he's been hanging out, but I'd sure like to sling a projectile at him.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IM000279.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IM000318.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IM000329.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IM000324.jpg

This other buck isn't anything to sneeze at, he looks like a really nice 2.5 year old.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v644_engrtobe_IM000333.jpg

I love putting out cameras, you never know what you're going to get a picture of. If you don't have any out, you don't know what you're missing...

Good Luck All...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great pics! I live in the country, and have a persimmon grove right in my front yard. Every evening, a half dozen does will come along the fence line and feed on everything that fell. I think everything in the woods likes those things. My dogs eat them too, and the cows on the other side of the fence stick their heads through the fence to pick up what they can:D

I'd sure keep an eye out for that big guy you have hanging around there. He looks like a real wall hanger.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great pics! I live in the country, and have a persimmon grove right in my front yard. Every evening, a half dozen does will come along the fence line and feed on everything that fell. I think everything in the woods likes those things. My dogs eat them too, and the cows on the other side of the fence stick their heads through the fence to pick up what they can:D

I'd sure keep an eye out for that big guy you have hanging around there. He looks like a real wall hanger.
They are actually very good. But you better make sure they are extremely ripe! If they aren't borderline rotten, you'll never get the fuzz out of your mouth...

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are actually very good. But you better make sure they are extremely ripe! If they aren't borderline rotten, you'll never get the fuzz out of your mouth...

LOL I learned that one fast. It was like eating a hand full of sand.

After the first freeze when they look like they're rotten but still on the limb.......:spaghetti:

They make awesome jelly too.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are great pics. Looks like you've got quite a nice little spot there. Good luck getting that big boy. I'd like to see a full color pic of him on the ground.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My uncle broke me in when I was a kid. Had me pick one off the tree and eat it. Man, it was terrible, and he just roared with laughter. I think that old trick has been passed down like genetics:D:D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My uncle broke me in when I was a kid. Had me pick one off the tree and eat it. Man, it was terrible, and he just roared with laughter. I think that old trick has been passed down like genetics:D:D
Yep I think it's a rite of passage. My Grandpa loved them and I do too. But I got one of them that literally felt like my tongue was swelling my mouth shut. It was a really weird sensation of the horror movie variety. :yikes2: I still don't understand how they can be that bitter.

I wish grampa was still here, he knew how to tell right where the good ones were. He just knew if it would be a good season for them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think they are ripe while still on the tree when they get really soft, and take little effort to remove from the tree. That being said, I only eat the ones that hit the ground....I never want that taste in my mouth again:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom