Upgrading 10/22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I replaced my 10/22 barrel I used Green Mountain tapered fluted barrel.That way I kept my walnut stock it does not have a barrel band.
The barrel is 20 in long and tapers to .600 at the muzzle .

Bolt buffer ,extended mag release ,extractor and trigger hammer were also done.
The rifle balances nice not barrel heavy and shoots Fed auto match well.
I use a Bushnell 4-12 x Trophy scope on it .

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stone the hammer and do the auto bolt release mod, or buy the Volquartsen target hammer and auto bolt release package if you're not the DIY type.

Try a low-power scope, like a 2.5x or a 4x. Or if you want to be awesome, get some Tech Sights for it.

Then get:

Sling studs
1 1/4" sling swivels
GI web sling

Then bring the rifle to an Appleseed marksmanship clinic, like the one we're having this weekend at the Banner Road range, or on October 23-24 in Afton, or on November 20-21 in Grandfield, and we will show you how to be absolutely deadly with it from field positions.

Just think... a rabbit is about a 6-inch wide target... if you can shoot to the Rifleman's standard of 4 minutes of angle from field positions, and if you know your trajectory, you should be able to hit a rabbit every time out to 150 yards, using nothing but a sling for support. The rabbits will not know what hit them when they start dropping after the bullets have gone subsonic!

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Placed order!! OD Green Hogue overmolded stock, OD Green Tactical Solutions fluted barrel, Truglo 4x scope. Just waiting for Larry Potterfield to mail it to me. And that's the way it is. I'll post before and after pics when the stuff gets here.

Farmall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Placed order!! OD Green Hogue overmolded stock, OD Green Tactical Solutions fluted barrel, Truglo 4x scope. Just waiting for Larry Potterfield to mail it to me. And that's the way it is. I'll post before and after pics when the stuff gets here.

You're off to a good start. Be warned you are not done with this rifle. I have 6 and I'm always tinkering with them.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got package! Man, I'm supersurprised howeasy it was to work on! Here's Pic. Forgot to take before pic cuz I was so excited!
ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx316_hard_r_001_2.jpg

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Same rifle I built several years ago. I added the TacSol mag release lever. You will REALLY like this mod. I am adding some Tech Sight irons to mine so I can shoot me some Appleseed soon.:thumbup3:

It will be VERY light and accurate so it will be a heckuva rabbit shooter.

danbob10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
For hunting the only thing I might replace is the trigger group. I replaced everything on mine....spent almost $700 plus the cost of the gun....it gained 3 pounds...and I still have a ruger 10/22 that is worth at most $450. The stock one I grew up with is the one I take hunting the most and it only cost $150......JMHO

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrel is not threaded.

Can you return it for one that is threaded?

I don't think the tac-sol barrels can be threaded later unlike ordinary steel barrels. If you are this serious about the 22 rifle, you will want to put a can on it. May as well plan for it especially if you can get a full refund on the non-threaded barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom