Vehicle carry without SDA permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember that carrying an unloaded firearm around open in your car does not meet one of the definitions of when it is OK to carry a firearm.
Title 21 Section 1289.6
A. A person shall be permitted to carry loaded and unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, open and not concealed and without a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act pursuant to the following conditions:

1. When hunting animals or fowl;
Coyotes and pigs have an open season year around..........

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So does the Castle Doctrine not cover you here in OK?
In TX it did...and I see OK has enacted the same law although I guess the specifics can vary by state.
I remember when they started it while I was in TX...work had to change their policy of "no guns in the parking lot" to meet the law. In TX it considers your vehicle an extension of your home basically, thus you were legally allowed to have a gun in your car and the right to defend yourself in it. Before that the law was vague, you could only have a loaded gun in your car "while traveling"...so much like the statement above about always going to the gunsmith...I would always be on my way out of town.
Then I got my CHL and none of that mattered any more :)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So does the Castle Doctrine not cover you here in OK?
In TX it did...and I see OK has enacted the same law although I guess the specifics can vary by state.
I remember when they started it while I was in TX...work had to change their policy of "no guns in the parking lot" to meet the law. In TX it considers your vehicle an extension of your home basically, thus you were legally allowed to have a gun in your car and the right to defend yourself in it. Before that the law was vague, you could only have a loaded gun in your car "while traveling"...so much like the statement above about always going to the gunsmith...I would always be on my way out of town.
Then I got my CHL and none of that mattered any more :)

Luckily, no employer can forbid you from keeping a firearm in your vehicle, and now I believe even schools have to allow you if you have a CCL, no? Areas specifically set aside for parking of vehicles are pre-empted by state law in such a manner than no employer or business can forbid you from keeping a firearm in your vehicle. again, prohibited areas excepted - post offices, military bases, federal property, etc. We went to talk to the tax man at the complex in Tulsa and I had to park outside the gates across the road in the grass. From the looks of the tiretracks on that access road, I am not the only one who has had to do that.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder about LEOs and why theyre all different.

Before I had got my permit I would get out at night before crashing and go down to our parcel of land that is a few miles from our place to check the lock on my gate, etc. Kids were always going down there and messing around. I always took my pistol with me tho and when traveling to/from had it in its holster w/ mag out (in my pocket) laying in the back seat of my Blazer. After checking the gate one night I decided to go down to Braums and grab a bite before going back to the house. To do that I have to take like 4 different roads to come full circle back to my home. Im going along on the way back home with my food and look up and see a cop with lights lit up and pulling behind me, looked down and I was about 10 or less over but with fat tires who knows how correct it is. It was a BA officer and he gave me the 3rd degree at the truck when I pointed out the UNLOADED pistol in the seat in its holster- I always turn my inside light on when I get pulled over so it was visible- then he sat in his cruiser and checked me out for the longest time after we talked- figured he was jazzed up about the gun laying in the back seat, but he came back and gave me a warning on the speed, was under 10 so he said so he let me slide. Even tho Im all legit he did make me kind of feel like I had done something wrong when I knew I had not.
Another day I was in an accident where this girl Tboned my 350Z with her Expedition in Tulsa at Mingo and 71st. I was trapped for a bit but got out of it, cop came, went over to his car and asked to sit in with him because my shite was totalled and had to call the wife to come get me. I told him in talking to him about the situation I was in and that I had a range bag in my back seat with 3 pistols in it, all were unloaded but I had about 3 boxes of ammo in the bag. He just looked at me and said "what ya got in there?", after I told him what all I had he just said "cool". Ok. When my wife came I transferred the bag to her trunk. That was it.

Last edited:

Pearnicious

New to the site!
Reaction score
Just remember that carrying an unloaded firearm around open in your car does not meet one of the definitions of when it is OK to carry a firearm.
"Just because" and "Self defense" are not valid reasons according to the law. So if you do carry open and unloaded all the time, just remember if an officer asks, you are always headed to the range or to a friends house who is interested in your firearm.

It would be interesting to see how A6 would play out in court since your car is property you own and you are in that property. When that bit was added a couple years ago, nothing was mentioned about car carry, it was meant to allow you to carry on land/in your house.

I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong.

O.S. § 21-1289.7 literally says "Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time." I don't have to have a reason. And according to the statute you quoted, lawful self-defense and self-protection are valid reasons. According to those statutes "just because" and "self defense" are both perfectly valid reasons to carry a handgun open and unloaded in a vehicle.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread...

I was thinking earlier about the open carry law here in OK. As I understand it - please do correct me if I'm wrong - a person without a CCL can openly carry a loaded firearm in the state of OK, unless it's on property where firearms are prohibited, etc. Now, if this person gets into his car, while openly carrying - he must now unload the firearm before driving off? Am I reading the SDA correctly in this regard?

Latest posts

Top Bottom