Victim hit during Black Lives Matter protest, his attorney plans to file civil lawsuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You asked if being cleared by the DA indemnified the driver. O.J. was acquitted of murder, but lost a civil case to the Goldman's. So it is an example of a case where being cleared of criminal charges did not indemnify the defendant against a lawsuit.

That's not to say an attorney might not get the case tossed, just that the DA deciding not to prosecute has nothing to do with a civil lawsuit.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You asked if being cleared by the DA indemnified the driver. O.J. was acquitted of murder, but lost a civil case to the Goldman's. So it is an example of a case where being cleared of criminal charges did not indemnify the defendant against a lawsuit.

That's not to say an attorney might not get the case tossed, just that the DA deciding not to prosecute has nothing to do with a civil lawsuit.

What's different though is that Oklahoma has a specific preemption in the SDA law that a person who uses force under the SDA in a lawful manner, is immune from civil suit for same. That's what I meant.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's different though is that Oklahoma has a specific preemption in the SDA law that a person who uses force under the SDA in a lawful manner, is immune from civil suit for same. That's what I meant.
Ah, I wasn't thinking of that. He wasn't cleared on the grounds of self defense, or any other grounds really though. The DA just decided not to prosecute. I would still assume they can file, but that doesn't mean they'll win.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How does SDA come into play here?

He drew his gun to back off the mob (didn't work) before he drove through. It's a real stretch IMO, but it might work so I'd at least throw it out there to a sympathetic judge?

Ah, I wasn't thinking of that. He wasn't cleared on the grounds of self defense, or any other grounds really though. The DA just decided not to prosecute. I would still assume they can file, but that doesn't mean they'll win.

Well Kunzweiler did day he was defending his family from a threat in his presser so there's that. Probably wouldn't work, but it might be worth a shot? :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom