vv n320 45acp 230gr lrn loads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springfield_45

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I picked up some 230 grain bullets from j&k and I've been trying to find some load data for them and can't find much. I'm not looking for a light target load. Anyone have any recipes they want to share?

walkeraw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can find recipes just about anywhere. I think the 'standard' is 5gr of Bullseye on the 230 lrn.

However, with J&K's 230gr lrn, we liked 4.4 - 4.5gr Bullseye, but enjoy 4.0 - 4.1gr better in our XD45c's. Also, think best method of determining the seating depth is to test fit in barrell/hood.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up some 230 grain bullets from j&k and I've been trying to find some load data for them and can't find much. I'm not looking for a light target load. Anyone have any recipes they want to share?
The 2nd Edition VihtaVuori Oy Reloading Guide shows 230 gr in .45 ACP to start at 5.1 gr and max at 5.4 gr. The listing is for a Hornady FMJ-RN jacketed bullet, so you can make do with less powder and get the same velocity with your cast lead bullets.

The link to VV site is here http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/index.php Go there and check for data.

springfield_45

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 2nd Edition VihtaVuori Oy Reloading Guide shows 230 gr in .45 ACP to start at 5.1 gr and max at 5.4 gr. The listing is for a Hornady FMJ-RN jacketed bullet, so you can make do with less powder and get the same velocity with your cast lead bullets.

The link to VV site is here http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/index.php Go there and check for data.

What do you think would be a good starting point?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you think would be a good starting point?

Always start at the bottom at work up. Load maybe 10-15 rounds of each load increment to check for accuracy and pressure signs. If you have a chronograph, use it. Do not exceed max charge in most current manual.

If bottom is really anemic, then go up by 0.2 grains until you get close, then by 0.1 grain.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never used n320 with 230gr but have put many 200gr swc down range with it and really like it. Very easy to find a sweet spot. VV n310 is my first choice but n320 is a strong second. Really clean burning powders and very accurate. Go to Handloads.com for some ideas.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no experiance with the vvn, but I tell you in a 4506, sig 220, and glock 21, they all liked 3.9gr of straight clays with a 230gr lrn williams bullet (now j&k), winchester primer and once used speer nickel brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom