Walnut media

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKtul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm probably the last guy in the state to learn this but I bought some walnut media from Petsmart for about $10 for a big bag. 20 lbs., I think. It works really well. Every bit as good as the expensive stuff and looks just like it. Petsmart sells it as kitty litter. I hope they don't find out us reloaders are using it, cause the price will go up.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sand blasting/Bead blasting suppliers carry walnut and corn cobb media in 50# bags, most will stock 3 different grits, about $25/bag.

Anderson Sales on OKC is the one I use. I'm sure there are others.

Split the cost with a reloading buddy, 25#'s lasts a long time.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard of using the NuFinish and also used dryer softener sheets to help keep the dust down.

But how do you know when its time to throw the stuff out and use a new batch?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Bought corncob media at Wal-Mart...it's the "Hartz" brand, and is for bird cages. About $3 for a decent sized bag.

Crap on the walnut; I bought mine at Southern Agriculture for about $9 for a 10lb or so bag. Was going to try Petsmart and didn't. I'll remember that. Maybe I'll get some extra....

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep the dust down with about 1oz of mineral spirts/paint thinner sprinkled into the vibrator while it is running, the media will clump up, just stur with
something then let it run about 10 minutes before putting brass add nufinish at this time too if you want.
If you keep the vibrator covered the MS will last a couple of weeks in this hot weather, longer in winter.
I replace the media when it stops cleaning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom