Walther P22 fail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took the wifey shooting today. She is wanting a 22 & wants to try out several different guns before making a decision on what she wants.
I had showed her several different guns a couple weeks ago. A Ruger SR22, which she really liked the feel of, the M&P 22, the Walther P22, & she kinda likes & shoots well the Kel tec P17 22 that I have.
Anyway, my dad has had this Walther P22 for about 15 years now, my wife puts about 17 rounds thru it when this happens.
20221030_150945.jpg

The slide broke & it actually came back & hit my wifes cheek. She is ok, it frightened her more than any pain.

Have any of you seen or heard of or had this happen.
20221030_150927.jpg

I'm going to have to check out if warranty will take care of this.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve heard of that. The early P22s have a reputation for being finicky on ammo, but that’s about it, and mine didn’t even have that problem. That said, they’re imperfect machines made by imperfect people, so anything can happen.

I’d be shocked if Walther didn’t take care of this.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, yeah... Walther P22s have a history of slides breaking. This is nothing new. Just axe the Google about it. You'll find more information than you care to.

Step daughter has one. Slide hasn't cracked...yet...but it's notoriously unreliable. It's been back to Walther 2x. Seems to shoot OK after the second trip back. The FtFire issue seems to have been corrected.

It's too bad because it's a really fun gun to shoot.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I have seen several of them crack and break. It seems the suppressed ones almost all break in about 1500-2000 rounds. Sent one in 3 times for cracks.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like Smith & Wesson is the warranty go to. Made in Germany, but under license of S&W, & I found a piece of paper in the box the gun came in that gives S&W & an address & number for warranty info.

Im wondering if there was a flaw or defect in the casting metal in that area of the slide.
20221030_172119.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom