Walther P22 fail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t say I’ve heard of that. The early P22s have a reputation for being finicky on ammo, but that’s about it, and mine didn’t even have that problem. That said, they’re imperfect machines made by imperfect people, so anything can happen.

I’d be shocked if Walther didn’t take care of this.
Yea they will want that back. probably the pictures too.!!

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like Smith & Wesson is the warranty go to. Made in Germany, but under license of S&W, & I found a piece of paper in the box the gun came in that gives S&W & an address & number for warranty info.

Im wondering if there was a flaw or defect in the casting metal in that area of the slide.View attachment 314460
looks cast

ASMS

Marksman
Reaction score
I had a P-22 in 2008. My son was shooting the pistol when it broke. He didn't get hurt but did scar him and me to. Mine cracked in two places. Both cracks were about 1.25 inches long One crack at firing pin along the top towards the ejector side of the slide. The second one from the firing pin was along the ejector side towards the top of the slide. The two cracks ends were 1/3 of an inch apart at the ends.

H&H sent it back to Walters. When Walters returned the pistol, I asked the son and daughter if they trusted this pistol. The answer was: NO! I no longer own a Walters P-22. I traded for a Ruger SR-22 and have had no problems.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a P-22 in 2008. My son was shooting the pistol when it broke. He didn't get hurt but did scar him and me to. Mine cracked in two places. Both cracks were about 1.25 inches long One crack at firing pin along the top towards the ejector side of the slide. The second one from the firing pin was along the ejector side towards the top of the slide. The two cracks ends were 1/3 of an inch apart at the ends.

H&H sent it back to Walters. When Walters returned the pistol, I asked the son and daughter if they trusted this pistol. The answer was: NO! I no longer own a Walters P-22. I traded for a Ruger SR-22 and have had no problems.
Have an SR 22, ran 2000 rounds through it without cleaning it (no problems at all, chewed most ammo up and spit it out with great accuracy. Went to take it to the range and the slide moved in slow motion when I hit the release, cleaned it and works great. Like the Walther P22 but never bought one, Ruger if anything has appeared to me as "overbuilt."

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Judging from the allen head screws on the stabilizer, I'd say it was reassembled where the slide made contact with stabilizer. This might not fall under warranty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom