Walther P99 9mm vs. Glock 19

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i bought a Walther p99 9mm made by smith & wesson several years back. i love the gun but now after buying a few glocks think the glock is superior. so why is the retail on the walther 650.00 and the glock is quite a bit less, 75 bucks or so. what am i missing. help educate a new guy. thanks

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What makes you think that Glock is superior?

P99 comes with 2 15rd clips, multiple grips and sights. IMHO the fit and finish is more refined.

Other than that either one will go bang every time you squeeze the trigger.

Steve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i guess the glock isn't superior, nor is the walther to the glock. so why the price difference? if they both go bang....why the extra money to purchase the walther. just curious. maybe it's just the name.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock likely costs less to manufacture. More Glocks are made than Walthers. Increased quantity can lower price.

The P99 is a great gun. No doubt about it. Many just prefer Glocks. Not due to price, but due to personal preferences.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, there is a difference between a Walther and S&W and in my experience the price is reflected. Typically I see a true P99 (Walther) list for more than a SW99 (S&W).
After owning both I will always choose the Walther. Something about a German made gun....
I have 3 M&P's, 4 Glocks, and 3 Walther P99 variants, but in the case of the P99 the Walther seems more refined.
What gun do I carrry? A Glock :) It's a simple gun that goes bang every time I pull the trigger. It may be an ugly brick, but it's a heck of a reliable ugly brick! Easy to detail strip and a ton of accessories available. What I would call a combat pistol, not the prettiest thing but quite reliable and fairly inexpensive.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walther costs more because your buying the "name"
Mercedes are not that great of cars but you pay thousands for the "name"

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What makes you think that Glock is superior?

P99 comes with 2 15rd clips, multiple grips and sights. IMHO the fit and finish is more refined.

Other than that either one will go bang every time you squeeze the trigger.

I am in total agreement. I shoot both and the S&W 99 and Walther P99 are much better guns than the Glock. I onmly use the Glock since 22 conversion units are available for the Glock but not for the others. It's easier to train a new shooter with a 22 and then have them switch to the 9mm on the same frame. I wish the pistol manufacturers caught onto that idea as a means of increasing their sales.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Walther fit my hand a lot better than my Glock did. But I only wanted to keep one and I already had the G27 - so I kept the G23 to be its big brother.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
G19:
Tougher finish (i.e. better rust protection), commonality of mags (G18, G17, G19 mags all fit), very cheap and easy-to-get parts, again, commonality of parts among it's bigger/small siblings... more factory and aftermarket parts/holsters available, can easily be completely stripped, a tad bit higher velocities out of G19 vs. P99, mags fit in Sub2K, etc. You get ALL this, for a price that is ~ $100 less than the Walther.

That being said, I would still like to have a P99 QA. :hey3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom