Walther PDP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veshuma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do folks seem to avoid these like the plague? I haven't seen any negative press. Mine's not had a single issue. I've never had such a rough time trying to move a pistol. lol

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think Walther does a LOT of not listening to its customers. Walthers models seem to be catering to the Race gun community now. The PDPs are really popular there

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only knock I can see is the slide seems pretty wide, but that might be more an optical illusion because of the slide serrations. Other than that, it seems like a really good pistol and I like how there are so many configurations available. However, I ended up grabbing a PPQ Tac model instead.

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was super excited when the PDP came out and bought one because I loved my VP9 and new Walther made great guns. However, I was disappointed to see despite being built from the ground up to take a red dot they had no physical optic lugs which even by 2018 had become common knowledge as the right thing. Walther put out a full court press to say mounting screws were enough but anyone with a basic physics education or experience running guns hgard knew this wasn't true.

When they released the second generation of the gun shortly after they quietly added those physical lugs. When I called customer service to see about swapping out my slide they tried to claim there wasn't really a need for them, they just spent the time and expense to add what every single other modern red dot pistol had for fun I guess. This caused me to loss A LOT of respect for them and that gun sits in my safe untouched after perhaps less than 500 rounds through it.

The other issue was for at least 8 months after the full sized was released you could not buy any additional magazines for it. That's a poor product launch but it's all well and good, I've moved on from polymer striker fired guns. But still an expensive debacle for me for sure and a reminder why you should never jump on a brand new gun design even from a trusted maker until people that know what they are doing have time to review and test it in depth.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the PDP, it's a great handgun and these normally sell pretty quick on here. I've sold 2 and bought one on this site. The "fatal flaw" in the vid is really a non-issue and was fixed on later models and Walther will fix it on your gun if you send the PDP to them. As far as the Gen 1 optic lugs (or lack of) were concerned, this was also proved to be a non-issue. I'm very active in the Walther circles and I've never seen nor heard of anyone having issues with their optic plate shearing off and it was actually torture tested and they couldn't get the screws to break. The only reason Walther added the lugs was due to the bad press they were receiving because of it.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the PDP, it's a great handgun and these normally sell pretty quick on here. I've sold 2 and bought one on this site. The "fatal flaw" in the vid is really a non-issue and was fixed on later models and Walther will fix it on your gun if you send the PDP to them. As far as the Gen 1 optic lugs (or lack of) were concerned, this was also proved to be a non-issue. I'm very active in the Walther circles and I've never seen nor heard of anyone having issues with their optic plate shearing off and it was actually torture tested and they couldn't get the screws to break. The only reason Walther added the lugs was due to the bad press they were receiving because of it.
Thanks for the information. I have owned a PPQ and PPS. Both were excellent firearms

wDoty

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always hear they’re floppy. That’s a strange criticism. But at the same time, it’s oddly specific to be heard so often, so maybe there’s something to it. I don’t know that I want a “floppy” shooting gun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom