Walther pk380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i've handled and shot one. very nice shooting guns. it has a little heft to it ans is accurate out of the box. that being said, i think you can get a much more potent ccw in a smaller package. the pk380 almost seems a range/plinking 380 because of its size and weight.
i might lean towards a larger caliber in a similar if not smaller gun for a ccw.:twocents:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In spite of all the obvious issues of "it's too big" etc. I think I may end up with one anyway. I got to borrow and shoot one at the range the other day and all I can say is that darn thing was sweet! You don't have to get a certain CCW gun just cause it's the smallest or lightest or whatever...you get one that works for you. I think I'll get one just 'cause I like the way it looks, feels and shoots.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a couple in classes and think they are an accident waiting to happen. They shot well and feel nice in the hand but I would not own one and would prefer not to see them in classes.

The first problem is they do not have a slide lock. This can be a procedural pain as the only way to lock them open is with an empty mag. This is also a problem if you need to clear a bad double feed.

Even worse than the slide lock is there is no decocker. To lower the hammer you put the gun on safe and pull the trigger. For range use this might not be a big deal since most people would shoot SA anyway but for a class where you have to decock after every string it is a horrible set up.

Your money could be spent on something much better suited to real world use.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen a couple in classes and think they are an accident waiting to happen. They shot well and feel nice in the hand but I would not own one and would prefer not to see them in classes.

The first problem is they do not have a slide lock. This can be a procedural pain as the only way to lock them open is with an empty mag.

False. There are ways to get it to lock back without an empty mag.

This is also a problem if you need to clear a bad double feed.

The tension on the slide is so little, my mother can hold the slide back with one hand, drop the mag,... then rack rack rack.

Even worse than the slide lock is there is no decocker. To lower the hammer you put the gun on safe and pull the trigger. For range use this might not be a big deal since most people would shoot SA anyway but for a class where you have to decock after every string it is a horrible set up.

Neither do Glocks. My 1911 doesnt have one. In fact, I think the only gun I have that has a decocker is my USP.

Your money could be spent on something much better suited to real world use.

And real world use isnt limited to a class or range time.

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
False. There are ways to get it to lock back without an empty mag..

How so? I'm interested to know incase I run across any more. I messed with one trying to lock it back and couldn't get it done. I could have missed something obvious it wouldn't be the first time.

Neither do Glocks. My 1911 doesnt have one. In fact, I think the only gun I have that has a decocker is my USP

The only gun you listed that is a traditional DA/SA you said had a decocker. If you are proposing carrying the PK380 C&L then I'll agree it doesn't need a decocker. For someone who plans on carrying it DA/SA I stand by my statement that engaging the safety and pulling the trigger to get it into a carry mode is a bad design. The risk for an accident is high when you may have to decock it 30 or 40 times in a day.

Classes and range time are far from real world but help prepare you for it. I tend to run a gun harder in a class and do things that I wouldn't normally do on my own range session.

They PK380 is probably a great gun for general range use. The ones I've seen were nice shooters and like I said felt nice in the hand. I do not think it will be a good gun if you plan using it DA/SA in classes due to the decock.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
False. There are ways to get it to lock back without an empty mag.

The only way is similar to the PP series of guns, which means holding the slide back one handed, and sticking your finger into the action to lift the locking arm. Your not going to be able to do this on a double feed.

The tension on the slide is so little, my mother can hold the slide back with one hand, drop the mag,... then rack rack rack.

Funny, I was taught during a double feed to rip the mag out, rack, rack, rack, visually inspect chamber, insert a new mag.

Neither do Glocks. My 1911 doesnt have one. In fact, I think the only gun I have that has a decocker is my USP.

The PK380 doesn't have a decocker like the PP series of guns, and I myself do not trust the new design with the setup it has for dropping the hammer for carry.

And real world use isnt limited to a class or range time.

For a gun such as this to not put in lots of range time is asking for trouble to yourself or to others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom