What .380 ammo do you carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My LGS has a couple of .380's on the shelves that got me thinking I might want to switch up my carry gun come summer. The guns in question are the Ruger LCP Max and the Walther PK380. Thinking of trying pocket carry with one. I've done a bit of research and I'm comfortable with the potential of the round depending on the loading, and I have my favorites based on non-scientific youtube gelatin tests. Just wondering what you guys who do carry .380's use?

Based on what I have seen and read, I'm leaning towards Underwood Xtreme Defender and the Fort Scott TUI, as those appear to achieve adequate penetration.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My LGS has a couple of .380's on the shelves that got me thinking I might want to switch up my carry gun come summer. The guns in question are the Ruger LCP Max and the Walther PK380. Thinking of trying pocket carry with one. I've done a bit of research and I'm comfortable with the potential of the round depending on the loading, and I have my favorites based on non-scientific youtube gelatin tests. Just wondering what you guys who do carry .380's use?

Based on what I have seen and read, I'm leaning towards Underwood Xtreme Defender and the Fort Scott TUI, as those appear to achieve adequate penetration.

When I need something really small I carry a Ruger LCP II in .380. But ever since I got the EC9s I haven't had the need to carry it much. The EC9s is a pretty compact 9mm.

As for ammo. Pretty much whatever JHP I can find.

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I was at a pocket carry class last year and we did quite a bit of testing with .380 ammo on cans of corn and water jugs. The Federal HST round was most impressive. So my pick for cans of corn and water jugs would be that round. A lot of people carry fmj in .380 for the needed penetration.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First round up is Critical Defense, mags are full of hardball. My little Garcia does not feed HP reliably enough to depend on it for defense so the first round is for shock value and the rest are for dependability. Now when I carry my 9mm 1911 it is all HP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom