Walther

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

What's the closest larger caliber Walther pistol to the P22 in operation? I'm still trying to decide on a first handgun and would like to try the Walther P22. The problem is, H & H does rent the P22. Is the P99 similar in the way it feels and operates?

Thanks

B

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
maybe a keltec pf-9 or p-11

the problem with your thinking is that larger calibers make small framed guns violent to shoot.

its all academic now, since you havent even shot the p-22 yet.

rent the p-22, a Glock 19, and and M&P9mm fullsize, maybe a XDm

see which of those you like the best.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
olyeller,

Thank you for replying!

I can't rent the p-22. They don't stock it in the gun rental at H&H. I have shot the M&P 9mm and it is my favorite hand gun, hands-down. I hope to purchase one at some point.

I would like to have a 22 for practice and for my kids to shoot, although my daughter can handle the M&P no problem. I just like the idea of the cheap ammo and being able to shoot more with the 22.

Also, I am getting ready to take the CCW class and have been thinking about that... I don't ever see me carrying the M&P pro.. perhaps the M&P Compact, but I haven't shot that yet. They only have it in .40 cal at H&H and the .40's are harder for me to handle.

After more reading I am interested in the Walther PPS 9 mm too. Not sure about the action though - I *think* its a DA and I much prefer SA.

I shot the Springfield Arms XD and didn't like it. I don't like 1911's either.

I would love to shoot the Walther PPS and the P22, but don't have that option here in OKC.

B

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm reading this right, you're wanting to shoot a P99 (which you can rent) to see if you like a P22 (which you can't)? They're similar in operation, yeah. Similar style grip and mag release, and overall "feel". The P99 is considerably larger in the grip though, and is striker fired. The P22 is hammer fired with a safety on the slide. The teensy grip on the P22 is about the only thing I don't like about them. I find a larger-gripped 22 like a Buckmark easier to shoot.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my daughter a P22 years ago - she was 10ish. She actually ended up liking the 9mm and .40 she shot better. Even at 10 she liked the H&K P2000sk in 9mm and the Sigp238 in .40 better than the .22 - Go figure!!
Long story short - who knows what they will like and shoot better!

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update.

They were having a CCW class at the range so the wait for a lane was an hour, so I didn't get to shoot.

However, I spent quite a bit of time talking to a couple of salesmen and holding different guns.

I really like the feel of the Walther PPS. Very thin and felt great in the hand. I also like the feel of the M@P9mm sub compact. Quite a bit thicker, but still fine for CC. Unfortunately, they don't have the PPS for me to rent and try.

I need to buy a gun soon to take the CCW class, but I think I'd be fine with either one at this point.

I think I will wait to get the 22 for awhile and just deal with the ammo cost for now.

Thanks for any opinions or ideas on this subject.

B

Latest posts

Top Bottom