watches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been too broke to buy myself a watch ever since my last good Timex broke when the band let go. Now days I use my cell phone as a time piece, but I miss having a wrist watch.

ChoZen1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in that generation. I remember Fossil watches being all the rage in High School. Big 'ol shiny faces and junk. But I can't remember the last time I wore a watch. Mid 00's maybe? About the time the smartphone popped onto the market. Technology killed the need for them.

Now, watches are kind of like purses or male earrings. Accessories for the urban male these days.

I don't see it as accessories for the urban male at all, I am anything but urban for sure. I am around a pretty diverse group in the oilfield and seems like the older guys all wear watches and the younger guys my age do not.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
" About the time the smartphone popped onto the market. Technology killed the need for them."

I feel the same, I wore watches when I was a kid, then used a pager, and now the cell phone. Only need one way to tell the time and if the phone doesn't work I can get a pretty good guess by looking at the sun. I do have friends that wear them, one wear his daily and is a blinged out status symble, another only wears one when "going out" and probably doesnt even work.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear a watch when I'm not at work. As an aircraft avionics tech/ electrician, I can't wear one at work. But the rest of the time I have a Citizen Eco-drive that the wife bought me 4 years ago. It's the only one I own. I've been a fan of the Citizens for a long time. I've only owned 2 though. My first one, another Eco-drive, lasted 16 years. Hoping this one lasts as long.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see it as accessories for the urban male at all, I am anything but urban for sure. I am around a pretty diverse group in the oilfield and seems like the older guys all wear watches and the younger guys my age do not.

I was talking our generation. They're not a 'tool' to us like they are to older generations.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've worn a watch for about 38 years now. My brother gave me my first when I was about 10 years old.

I never could get used to the heft of the watch and the way the twist-o-flex band pulled the hairs on my wrist (yes, I was a hairy ape even at 10 years old) so I kept taking it off and laying it down. Well, we went to Ada one afternoon, ate at KFC and I took my watch off and laid it by the sink to wash my hands.

I think everybody knows what happened next.

Yup. I forgot it. :faint:

What's worse is I didn't realize it for a couple of days when my brother asked where my watch was. I told him what happened and the worst part was - HE DIDN'T BELIEVE ME! :cry3: He thought I gave it away or some older kid at school stole it or whatever.

Since that day, I have worn my watch everytime I am vertical. I am totally lost without it.

And as for the kids who say they don't need a watch because they can look at their smart phones? I tried that too and it was just bothersome to have to reach into my pocket, retrieve my phone, press the power button and then see the time when all I really gotta do is rotate my damned wrist! :ugh2:

It just goes to show you...the old way still rules. :thumb:

Here's the watch I wear today.

i260.photobucket.com_albums_ii8_bluehatdeals_0420_c.jpg

The Invicta model 0420. Automatic movement, water resistant to 200 meters, 45mm titanium case and 22mm bracelet, magnified date window, screw down crown and exhibition case back.

I bought this Invicta in July of this year and it has never lost or gained a single minute. Hands down the best watch I've ever owned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom