Waterfowl gear opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The end of duck season is around the corner. I would like some opinions on duck hunting gear for this season.

Shotguns, shells, decoys,waders, and calls.

Shotgun:Stoeger sxs 12ga. = Performed without any problems

Shells:Blackcloud = Not impressed, but not totally disappointed. I have to consider my shooting also...I'm a pretty good shot, but not always.

Decoys: A mix of teal, and mallards. = HD magnums seem to work well. Not impressed with the Mojos, brings them in from a distance, but are soon recognized for a Frankin duck.

Waders: Hodgman 600 gm. with felt soles. = For the price these are great, no leaks, and they come up high under the arms...I didn't get wet yet. The 600 gm. is nice on cold mornings.

Call: An old Lohman 103...darn good call.

Any input would be great, thanks.

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm actually extremely impressed with blackcloud, I shoot the 3" #4's and just wad those suckers up! Where I hunt we have a lot of passing shots, the fast blackclouds seem to be the ticket without breaking the bank. I shoot decoying ducks with the 9 dollar winchesters from wal-mart with no problems either.

If you're not already "texas-rigging" your decoys, you're doing yourself a big disservice!

We hunted last week over 90 floating texas rigged decoys, and about 3 dozen full body decoys, took 2 guys less than 10minutes to be totally picked up.

For decoys I'm using OLD Herters foamers that I burlapped and painted a few years ago.
agkasper.smugmug.com_Nature_Deks_IMG2672_187838263_9VAY4_S.jpg

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me....

Shotgun: 870 Express SuperMag. (take some 3 1/2 shells in case some geese get close)

Shells: Have shot Winchester X-perts all year. 3" #4.

Choke: Kicks High Flyer modified. The combination of this choke tube and starting skeet and trap shooting have improved my waterfowl shots tremendously.

Decoys: 1 dozen G&H (local OK company) mallards, some flambeau teal, and 4 G&H pintails. As stated if you aren't texas rigging (commercial product is called Rig em Right, but you can do it yourself as well) you are spending way more time picking up dekes than you should.

Waders: Redhead Bonedry. 3.5mm 600grm thinsulate in the boots. I've had these waders since 2004 and they just developed a small leak in one of the boots. I patch about every other week, new waders coming for next year.

Calls: Primos Timber Wench, Duck Commander Duck Picker, and some no name whistle.

This has been my best year of duck hunting yet. I can attribute most of my success to being an active shotgunner year round now since I've picked up skeet and trap. Making more accurate shots and saving a ton of money on shells.

okieboomer1

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the " Texas rigging" suggestions. After doing some research/reading on the subject matter, it looks to be a good time saving method. I'm really impressed with the old school Herter decoys, reminds me of the old paper mache decoys my father used. The pic of the mallard drake looks great, I'm definately going to rethink purchasing new decoys, and re-work some old deeks via the arts, and crafts section at hobbylobby.

Latest posts

Top Bottom