Waxing cheese?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are any of you doing the waxing cheese thing? I have read that it is supposed to keep for up to 25 years but have never tried it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am always awake at this hour. I am a night owl and have been all my life. :D

As for waxing cheese, I read another story on it and was curious if anyone here had done it. More surprised I did not get a wax on, wax off joke right off the bat. :D

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't do it regularly or anything, but I have done it before. I did it as a Christmas gift for my dad and uncles a couple years ago. It's really not that hard. I just a large chunk of extra sharp cheddar, dipped it in white vinegar, and let it sit wrapped in cheese cloth for a couple days on my kitchen counter. Most store bought cheese like that has way too much moisture. Melt the wax using a double boil, and I just dipped it in, but you're supposed to brush it on.

I always thought it'd be cool to drop in a piece of blue cheese just before waxing.

I remember reading that ideal storage would be hanging them in a net, where they're not on a rigid flat surface, and could be turned every couple months.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a bag of Mini Babybel waxed cheeses last year and threw them in our cupboard planning to open one each year to check if they were still edible. So far so good.

images

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far, my cheese has been hairless, so I have had not had a reason to wax it.

Got a can of cheese from Sam's, good or even, not bad at all; wasn't the thought I had of it. More of, "what is this SH*T?" Poured it over the dog's food and now they are PO'd at me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom