Wayne LaPierre's legacy at the NRA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In spite of the successful influence from the NRA to get concealed carry legislation passed over the past 25+ years under Wayne LaPierre's reign, his legacy will be one of graft and corruption. Of course, that won't stop his faithful from offering up resolutions of praise at the annual meeting in Dallas this year.

Here is an excellent article that outlines the financial problems of the past 7-8 years.

https://theconversation.com/wayne-l...the-legal-one-that-landed-him-in-court-220728

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boycotting by (former) members has reduced NRA revenue by one-third. Getting rid of LaPierre is one step, but I'd like to know the golden parachute severance package he's getting. Also, from another forum:

"..they have to get the 76 member BOD to 9 or less directors as a 76 member board rarely comes to alignment to give direction to the NRA executives. Numerous studies have shown that board of directors totaling 10 and above are ineffective.."

They've got to get rid of the rot in the board before the problem is resolved. Dissolve the whole thing and start from scratch. But, it would have to be the board that decides that. That's like asking Congress to police itself. It's a joke.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All LaPierre had to do was follow the law, and his buddies, and everything would be fine, and the NRA would be loaded with money. Instead he conspired with others to enter into a criminal conspiracy. Wayne will be going to jail IMO, and this whole thing will be a huge scandal, and it will strike very close to home, within miles of the Oklahoma City gun club.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All LaPierre had to do was follow the law, and his buddies, and everything would be fine, and the NRA would be loaded with money. Instead he conspired with others to enter into a criminal conspiracy. Wayne will be going to jail IMO, and this whole thing will be a huge scandal, and it will strike very close to home, within miles of the Oklahoma City gun club.
Not only OKC. Almost every gun club uses NRA insurance to keep their range open. I'm retired President of the Ponca City Gun Club. When Wayne's excesses started surfacing, I took offense and started looking for alternative insurance to divest ourselves of the NRA.
It wasn't happening. What is 5 figure insurance went to high 6 figure insurance.
We had to, like most ranges stay with the NRA insurance.
I sure hope this forces the members to revolt and replace the board with one that is dedicated to preserving our rights more than creating a cush life for the board.
What I've seen is that old term organizations tend to trend that way. Start a noble charitable cause and it evolves into a top heavy group reaping rewards from the donations.
NRA and Wounded Warriors come to mind.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to know the golden parachute severance package he's getting

Found it. From a thread on The Firing Line. A poster asked, "Will the membership come back now that WLP is leaving the NRA?"

One of their mods replied: "...probably not until the board of directors and other WLP sycophants are also gone. The board continued to support LaPierre even after it became clear that he was scamming the organization. The board approved his 17 MILLION dollar retirement payout. The board was all set to approve purchasing a mansion in Texas for LaPierre using the organizations' (i.e. OUR) money. The board approved the changes to the by-laws that were proposed a few years ago, and the board helped campaign to persuade the membership to approve those changes. The board (most of it) is as rotten as LaPierre is. 'If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.' "
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617922&page=2
The NRA has devolved into a monolith defined by its corruption and the board enables it. LaPierre resigned but the board remains. Until the board dissolves, it's going to be the same NRA and, no way they clean themselves.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Found it. From a thread on The Firing Line. A poster asked, "Will the membership come back now that WLP is leaving the NRA?"

One of their mods replied: "...probably not until the board of directors and other WLP sycophants are also gone. The board continued to support LaPierre even after it became clear that he was scamming the organization. The board approved his 17 MILLION dollar retirement payout. The board was all set to approve purchasing a mansion in Texas for LaPierre using the organizations' (i.e. OUR) money. The board approved the changes to the by-laws that were proposed a few years ago, and the board helped campaign to persuade the membership to approve those changes. The board (most of it) is as rotten as LaPierre is. 'If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.' "
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617922&page=2
The NRA has devolved into a monolith defined by its corruption and the board enables it. LaPierre resigned but the board remains. Until the board dissolves, it's going to be the same NRA and, no way they clean themselves.
Yep. I see no NRA membership renewals in my future.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The leadership in the NRA just doesn't get it! The current NRA President, Charles Cotton, was voted into office by the Board of Directors. Previously, while on the Board, Cotton was the Chairman of the Audit Committee. Cotton was responsible for fiduciary oversight of the NRA finances while LaPierre was making shady deals. Instead, he was more like a piano player in a brothel!

https://www.ammoland.com/?p=565736#axzz8P0ZU1lA6

Latest posts

Top Bottom