We Cut the Cable! Need Antenna Advice/Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make your own with a 2x4 and some coat hangers. They're kind of unsightly, but they work really well. The one I have is similar to this, but without the reflector and everything is bolted to the wide side of the board instead of the edge. There are other designs out there that are simpler if you want to do a quick google. These antennae can be mounted in the attic. For hitting multiple TVs with one antenna, a UHF splitter should do the job.

If you already have cable or satellite coming into your home and hitting multiple TVs, there's probably a splitter in your attic somewhere. You'll have to figure out if it's the right kind, but if it is and your antenna gets good reception in your attic, you should be able to just connect the antenna to it and send signal to all the TVs you already have hooked up. If it's the wrong kind of splitter, you can get the right kind of splitter to replace the existing one and do the same thing. Depending on the length of your cable runs and the level of reception you get with your chosen antenna, you may or may not need a signal booster.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
go to tvfool and run a report. Check out avsforum.com for advice.

This.

I use an RCA ANT751R in the attic, bought from Walmart incase I needed to return it easy.
We only use it on our livingroom TV and have rabbit ear/bow tie on the bedroom TVs.
This works great for us in SW Moore/ OKC area.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, and if you are in a good enough area to receive signals, stick a paperclip in the antenna hole on the back of your TV. It could be that simple, from my own experience.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, and if you are in a good enough area to receive signals, stick a paperclip in the antenna hole on the back of your TV. It could be that simple, from my own experience.

this. you could also make an antenna by using a couple feet of coax. connect one end to the tv and strip about 19" of everything but the center wire from the other end..

gregb21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got it. Thanks. My house is wired for cable to all 5 TVs, but I just don't know how to set up and antenna in the attic or whatever and connect to it.

I did this last year. I have one HD antenna that runs 4 Tv's. I went into the attic found the splitter attached to the coax cable coming from the outside. Hooked my antenna where the cable coax was hooked into. The strength of the signal will depend on how far from the transmitters you are and how good of an antenna you have.

gregb21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate that, but really, it would be best if I paid somebody to do this and do it right. I'm going to look around a bit to see if maybe I can find the splitter.

I've learned a bunch since posting this, thanks guys!

I have an extra roll of coax cable and the tools and fittings to get the job done. If you want some help, Pm me. I am out in the Yukon area also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom