'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all due respect, whenever the tax issue is brought up, I get disgusted. I pay an absolute ton of taxes every quarter. It's a great problem to have.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why didn't he put that in place his first four years? Especially his first two years when his party controlled everything.

The Democrats didn't have control of everything. Because of the Republican filibuster, and the lack of a supermajority, they couldn't get much passed after it made it through the house during the first 2 years. Including a budget.

Really the argument about the POTUS is moot, as the last 4 years has demonstrated non-cooperative legislative gridlock will impede any hope of progress (however either party wishes to define it) we may have. We have a country to get in order and the Congress is having a giant pillow fight about it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Democrats didn't have control of everything. Because of the Republican filibuster, and the lack of a supermajority, they couldn't get much passed after it made it through the house during the first 2 years. Including a budget.

Really the argument about the POTUS is moot, as the last 4 years has demonstrated non-cooperative legislative gridlock will impede any hope of progress (however either party wishes to define it) we may have. We have a country to get in order and the Congress is having a giant pillow fight about it.

With all due respect, it is not necessarily true that the filibuster was a Republican issue. There are enough "moderate" Republicans that they would not have been able to effectively filibuster anything. McCain, Snowe, and Collins would have helped the Dems with just a little prodding. There were some "moderate" Democrats that also didn't want to go to the extremes of the Democratic leadership.

And, there were early budgets passed, but for the last 3 1/2 years, the Senate leadership refuses to even consider one. The last two budgets submitted by Obama couldn't get any Democrats to support them. The Senate leadership has also declined to act on any of the "jobs" bills that have originated in the House. So, if there is any real gridlock, the Dems are more to blame.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all due respect, it is not necessarily true that the filibuster was a Republican issue. There are enough "moderate" Republicans that they would not have been able to effectively filibuster anything. McCain, Snowe, and Collins would have helped the Dems with just a little prodding. There were some "moderate" Democrats that also didn't want to go to the extremes of the Democratic leadership.

And, there were early budgets passed, but for the last 3 1/2 years, the Senate leadership refuses to even consider one. The last two budgets submitted by Obama couldn't get any Democrats to support them. The Senate leadership has also declined to act on any of the "jobs" bills that have originated in the House. So, if there is any real gridlock, the Dems are more to blame.
To be accurate, the bills that Republicans are calling the presidents budget are actually the GOP 'version' of what they think he means, and then introduced by house Republicans.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all due respect, it is not necessarily true that the filibuster was a Republican issue. ...

And, there were early budgets passed, but for the last 3 1/2 years, the Senate leadership refuses to even consider one. ...

So, if there is any real gridlock, the Dems are more to blame.

I'll concede it's not solely a Republican issue. I won't go so far as to way I blame one party more than the other, because frankly my repugnance of the lot of them is at an all-time high.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom