Weapon light or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Streamlight TLR-3 on my M&P40 that is my nightstand gun. The reason? I've probably lost close to $1000 worth of flashlights in the last few years as an auto tech, and with a weapon mounted light, I know I'll always have one, because I ain't losing that gun, unless there is an unfortunate accident involving a boat.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know... people say this and I'm wondering if they've tried to "aim" with something like a Surefire, Modlit, or Cloud Defense in their face. It's not happening lol.
Ya, if you can stand there and use both eyes with around 17k candela blasting you in the face, what's attached to the light aint big enough.

I can see this being true on those old giant stinger "Tonks", but not a modern weapon light with some salt.

But to answer the OP question, Yes. On my handgun and rifle home defense weapons I have the brightest light I can afford. Sitting next to or attached to both is a handheld light just as bright. Situation will dictate what gets shined on someone. Obviously if the front door gets kicked in, I could care less about identifying my target without pointing the muzzle at them. Different situation, handheld. I'm not going to point my weapon at anything I don't intend to destroy completely. One of those rule thingys

Shooting with lights attached kinda sucks. I've heard from some people it helps control muzzle rise or balance the weapon out. I haven't experienced that. The two that I do shoot with lights on, I tape the end of the light off with painters tape so I don't have to clean it afterwards. I'd shoot it both ways just so you can feel the difference.

Last edited:

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember seeing a video where jerry miculek had a light on a pistol and said he liked the added weight/reduced muzzle flip.

I’ve got a tlr-1HL on my nightstand gun. Honestly, I think that particular light is almost too bright for use inside of a dark house though. It blinds the user. It is however, awesome for busting raccoons in a chicken coop or vermin in the pasture at night

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can use the "spill" of the light: to identify targets without muzzling them:

Not real confident in the idea of using the spill technique. Seems to me like all you have done is show the intruder exactly where you are without putting the most intense part of the beam right in his eyes. Also I think you are spending to much focus getting jest the right amount of light to id the target while not covering it instead of evaluating the threat level and taking appropriate action. I'll just keep my finger off the trigger until it's go time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom