West Norman shooting yesterday; shooter was CLEET instructor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Presumption of innocence still matters, but if the state of OK is going to set a $4mil bond then my guess is the alteraction didn't exactly come across as a justified self defense shooting.

Method

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this is my uncle, he’s in no wrong. the other man aggressively proceeded to my uncles vehicle, which turned into an altercation which made Mark pull his fire arm.
Odd how the police on site didn't come to that conclusion. There was more than one witness, which is likely why he is facing a murder charge.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ife-60-cleaning-gun-turns-weapon-himself.html
A lot of 60-something firearms instructors not living up to their training?

Simeon Hendrickson, 61, was cleaning one of his weapons in the Chicago suburb of Bollingbrook last Saturday afternoon.

He accidentally discharged the gun and hit his wife Laurie Hendrickson, 60. Police said Simeon Hendrickson then turned the handgun on himself, taking his own life.

It's complacency and it comes with the " I am a pro mentality and know what I'm doing " . Some of the most unsafe people I know with a with a firearm are police officers with whom I have worked and yes firearms Instructors , both CLEET and NRA certified . I could tell some stories but probably shouldn't about being at work in a former life when an negligent discharge has occurred. Those ND's have included shooting bathroom stall doors, their cars , the ceiling etc.

All of them would have told you right to the moment before the incident happened , they all had at least a decade of carrying daily and knew how to handle a gun safely and they don't need your advise or admonishments about safe handling.

I'll even go so far as to say some of the worst shots I have ever seen were also cops, more than you might imagine will only shoot when they are required to for training or qualification. And no I am not joking , in short because of the above being a state certified firearms anything really doesn't impress me .

Kinda like when a certain well known (or at least he used to be well known) guru trainer and instructor ... went on the first season of Top Shot and was sent home in the first episode .

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Simeon Hendrickson, 61, was cleaning one of his weapons in the Chicago suburb of Bollingbrook last Saturday afternoon.

He accidentally discharged the gun and hit his wife Laurie Hendrickson, 60. Police said Simeon Hendrickson then turned the handgun on himself, taking his own life.

It's complacency and it comes with the " I am a pro mentality and know what I'm doing " . Some of the most unsafe people I know with a with a firearm are police officers with whom I have worked and yes firearms Instructors , both CLEET and NRA certified . I could tell some stories but probably shouldn't about being at work in a former life when an negligent discharge has occurred. Those ND's have included shooting bathroom stall doors, their cars , the ceiling etc.

All of them would have told you right to the moment before the incident happened , they all had at least a decade of carrying daily and knew how to handle a gun safely and they don't need your advise or admonishments about safe handling.

I'll even go so far as to say some of the worst shots I have ever seen were also cops, more than you might imagine will only shoot when they are required to for training or qualification. And no I am not joking , in short because of the above being a state certified firearms anything really doesn't impress me .

Kinda like when a certain well known (or at least he used to be well known) guru trainer and instructor ... went on the first season of Top Shot and was sent home in the first episode .

Amen. The closest I have ever come to throwing a punch was at a firearms instructor when I worked at H&H. I've told the story here before so I won't bore you guys with it again but I was TERRIFIED he was gonna wind up shooting himself on "my" range. He scared me worse that the biker ***** who was waving her handgun around like a flag girl at a high school football game. WITH her finger on the trigger. And that ***** emptied an entire bay in about 9.8485 seconds flat! 😳😳

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have seen it also. First time I qualified at the SO, 30 of us went and only 5 past first time around, then the reduced the scoring procedure. One of the Sargents was waving her 38 special around, with finger on the trigger.

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The case is already on OSCN.NET

No. CF-2023-1149 (Criminal Felony)
Filed: 07/21/2023
Judge: Balkman, Thad

Sooner or later they will probably add to the online file the Probable Cause Affadavit and it will contain the details that support the arrest and charge. If officers on scene had any doubts and thought it might have been a shooting covered by Statute OS21 1289.25 they would have been prohibited from arresting him on scene. They could have put the Probable Cause together later and then obtained an arrest warrant, but with an on scene arrest they had PC for the charge of Murder. If similar cases can be a guide, he may have confessed and admitted he was wrong to responding officers. Hard to say at this point.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The scene details will be interesting to know, something was pretty clear for the arrest and charges. There are multiple eye witnesses so I bet their statements matched evidence to quickly clear up what happened. I heard there was a physical altercation before shots, did the guy use deadly force on a non-lethal threat? If you start the fight, and then you are getting your ass beat, can you step up to lethal force? Was there a continued attack after the victim was down or out? Maybe a final execution shot after the victim was down?

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The scene details will be interesting to know, something was pretty clear for the arrest and charges. There are multiple eye witnesses so I bet their statements matched evidence to quickly clear up what happened. I heard there was a physical altercation before shots, did the guy use deadly force on a non-lethal threat? If you start the fight, and then you are getting your ass beat, can you step up to lethal force? Was there a continued attack after the victim was down or out? Maybe a final execution shot after the victim was down?

That execution shot (and well his mouth, but those interviews were just the icing on the cake) is what did Ersland in ...

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me both parties are quilty of violation of the #1 rule of never pull over and stop and both parties let their ego get in the way.
Yeah, but one of them was skilled in crisis mgmt and supposedly had a common sense approach to problem solving (according to his credentials in his bio). He’s also the one who got out of the car with a gun.
This further proves to me that ”cop training” don’t mean sh*t in the real world. People are people.

Latest posts

Top Bottom