What does gun ownership mean to you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
heritage, freedom, a reminder of my service. It is a daily reminder to me of what made this country great and what it was built on. I think of every thing all those who came before us gave to make us what we are today. It is is also our guarantee to stand against the government should the worst occur. It helps ensure we do not have a foreign invasion in the US. Countries have known we are all well armed and use them.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gun ownership means that I never have to fear someone forcing me to do something I dont want to do. It means I can defend myself and my family. It means I shouldnt have to fear my government. Could all of this change? Yes, that is what I am afraid of.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is the means to exercise both the right I have to defend myself and my family and the duty I have to assist my community in time of need or crisis. I served my country formally for 24 years but just because I put away the uniform doesn't mean all my rights or responsibilities go away - they were there when I started as a civilian citizen and they were waiting for me when I retired. To me it is unthinkable that my community or nation should suddenly turn, look at me, and say "You can no longer be trusted, you just sit back and let us do it for you". Rights and obligations - they are tied together and should not, indeed cannot, be separated.

I will also add that gun ownership is, as a last resort, a means to ensure that an abusive government - should one arise - does not have a monopoly on force. All men have a right to possess the means to control their destiny and while freedom of speech, religion, press, etc. are more important in a sense - without the means to secure those rights they mean little.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything.

I dont recall a moment in my life when a gun wasnt near me. Today I carry one legally to protect myself and my family and I have them at home to protect my home as well as owning valuable to me collectible firearm mementos.

My Marine grandfather made it home from WW2 - even survived Pearl Harbor, my Marine father made it thru Korea and the early stages of Viet Nam, my uncles served in the Navy and the Marines in Viet Nam and now I have a young son-in-law in the Air Force who was in Iraq and is now in Afganistan. Pretty sure guns helped them all stay alive. Plus they were there making sure I could have the rights and freedoms I have now, so I dont take them for granted.

For me my love affair with firearms began when I remember finally being taken hunting with my father as a little kid and then on into being adult- it was always a father and son bonding thing. I cherished my very own first gun- a Winchester Model 290 semi auto .22 that was a Christmas present when I was about 9, I still have it as well as a Beretta 92F that my father gave me as a HS graduation present- he didnt want me going off to school in big mean San Francisco without a decent weapon- glad he did too, my first place was a cheap apartment in a bad part of Oakland and the Beretta was with me as much as possible, besides the 12gg under my bed. As a kid I could tear the guns apart in just a few minutes, I fiendishly practiced over and over just so I could impress my father. I still have my fathers ancient looking Marine issue gun cleaning kit from the 50s in my collection of his Marine gear. I have my grandfathers old service revolver and holster he used when he was a cop in the 50s- when I was a little kid and would stay with my grandmother I would sneak it out of where it usually was kept in a drawer near my grandmothers bed, unload it first always, then play around with it a bit before putting it back- when my gramma died my mother gave it to me. When my father died my older brothers and sisters let me keep all of my fathers guns and gear- my 2 older sisters are California born and bred vegan tree hugging teachers and my older brother is a Berkeley professor of sociology and a long time martial arts school owner/instructor who's wife wont let him keep one in the home, so I got everything.

Like I said earlier, I cant think of a moment in my life that a gun wasnt present some where in my life. And I have always respected the gun(s) as a powerful object that weilded dangerous powers, loaded or unloaded- it was driven in to my mind that they were never toys, my father taught me that, as I have tried to teach my daughters and my stepson since they were little kids. When I was a kid you would have never gone near the guns without my dad around without knowing there would be some serious azz kicking later if you did. I feel kind of bad for decieving my father and sneaking down the road to the trash dump on my bike with a buddy to shoot bottles and stuff with my Model 290 .22 rifle while my parents were at work.

My son always knew not to go near our guns without me around, but Im sure he would have if he ever had a chance, thanx to Mr Gun Safe I never gave him the chance. Thats why he got all the great Airtsoft gear and really nice archery gear to keep hisself practiced with. We go to the range as much as possible so he can get his practice in. Grampa takes him deer hunting, as well as birds and other critters. Now that he's 16 he's my backup at home when Im out of town to protect the house. He knows where momma puts the main HD weapons out at night when Im gone and Im confident he could help take care of his mother if something went down.

I dont take ownership of my guns lightly, as well, I respect the law as much as I respect the gun itself. I dont think my concealed carry permit makes me all powerful, its just a piece of paper, I know I have rules to live by though with it- legal and moral- and I try to live by those rules. The permit to carry is a privaledge, not a right. Owning a gun is a right not a privaledge, and it comes with heavy responsibilities. I have practiced martial arts since I was young learning in a school run by my family, I was a competitive boxer all thru my teens and twenties, I collect and carry knives, etc- a gun is not my first choice of defense of myself, but I wouldnt hesitate to use it if I really needed to.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom