What does gun ownership mean to you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In equal parts, a right and a responsibility. With the power I can wield comes an innate sense of responsibility to use it with care and righteousness. In order to temper that solemn duty, I’ve developed a passion and enjoyment for mastering its use. One isn’t likely to spend time perfecting the necessary skills without that enjoyment. It's a mentally stimulating and physically challenging art that requires nurturing and practice. It is rewarding on multiple levels and one of the most useful skillsets you can have.

Those who do not partake have missed out on one of life's great rewards.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Freedom and security.

First and foremost. This! ^^^

Secondarily I just love the history behind guns and have since childhood just thought that guns were interesting. This morphed into building engines in my late teens and early adulthood and has regressed back to guns since. I don't know how to explain it, I just "like" them. The differing designs, the chemistry of the propellents (though I wish there was a lot more public data on them) and internal ballistics, external ballistics, etc., etc.

It is the means to exercise both the right I have to defend myself and my family and the duty I have to assist my community in time of need or crisis. I served my country formally for 24 years but just because I put away the uniform doesn't mean all my rights or responsibilities go away - they were there when I started as a civilian citizen and they were waiting for me when I retired. To me it is unthinkable that my community or nation should suddenly turn, look at me, and say "You can no longer be trusted, you just sit back and let us do it for you". Rights and obligations - they are tied together and should not, indeed cannot, be separated.

I will also add that gun ownership is, as a last resort, a means to ensure that an abusive government - should one arise - does not have a monopoly on force. All men have a right to possess the means to control their destiny and while freedom of speech, religion, press, etc. are more important in a sense - without the means to secure those rights they mean little.

I don't know how it could be said any better. :thumb:
This and only this was the intent of the 2nd Amendment.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much the same as everyone else. Freedom, personal and home defense, recreation and stress relief (nothing beats punching some holes in a paper target!)

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It means i can protect myself, my family and others. I view guns as another way i can hunt and as recreation. In a extreme sense, gun ownership means i can defend myself against a tyranical government.

I have been involved in many, many different hobbies and guns have always been my main interest. It will be a sad day and the US will cease without the Right to bear arms.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Freedom. Freedom of fear from an abusive government, fear of armed thugs, fear of mobs of looting parasites in times of trouble. It allows me to provide meat for my family, as well as defend them.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Freedom, safety, and recreation. Freedom from a government that is here to protect me, safety for me and my family against those who would do us harm, and recreation because it's fun and challenging.

Latest posts

Top Bottom