What Is Going On ,Too Much Anger On Here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I little bit of it is forums allow you to say what ever comes to mind with zero consequences. When I was growing up if you ran your mouth you had better be able to back it up because that was face to face or over the phone with someone you knew well enough to have their number. There was the possibility of direct retaliation if you got to nasty. Now you can get on a forums/teamspeak/twitter ETC and trash folks you have never met and never worry about having to look that person in the eye.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@undeg01: Very well said. For new members, it takes a little time to become "one of the group" but once you're in; you're in. Jump on in and participate in the discussions.

You extended the offer for newbies to offer input so here goes. I have followed along for a while before joining OSA trying to gauge the atmosphere and found it overwhelmingly positive. So I decided to join.

I have been thinking for quite some time about what appears to me, to be a loss of civility over-all in our current society. I attribute a great deal of loss to the advent of the internet and people being able to hide behind their computer screens and cell phones; being relatively anonymous.

I grew up in a small town in Northeast Kansas on the banks of the Missouri River and as a young man worked in the busiest service station in town. We sold more beer than any place in town and had beer coolers in what we referred to the back room. Our customers were of all stripes and professions, from doctors and lawyers to farmers, construction workers, welders, truck drivers, etc. It was a common occurrence for guys to go in the back room, drink beer and discuss the issues of the day.

Some were Democrats, some Republicans, some union members, some opposed to unions, some supportive of the war in Vietnam and other not so much. They would argue and disagree, but it always remained civil. It was almost a sport to them. Heck, some even went coon hunting and duck hunting together even if they had opposite views.

Perhaps it was because it was a small town that guys would sit around the coffee shops and barber shops and agree to disagree. I don’t believe that happens much anymore. I find that disturbing.

Politicians, the media and the elites of this world keep people divided and it’s not just a right or left monopoly and nothing new; it’s just became more sophisticated. The politically connected do their best to keep the masses divided………it keeps people distracted and keeps the connected in power.

To paraphrase George Carlin, “It’s an exclusive club and you ain’t in it.”

This forum is great and I would gather we all have at least one thing in common and that is the support of the Second Amendment, even if there is some disagreement to how gun laws should or should not be enforced. I say it’s highly unlikely any of us will be in that exclusive rarefied club the political and connected elites belong to. But I would prefer to be in this club and see it remain civil!

I have two brothers and we haven’t always seen eye to eye on certain issues, and still don’t, but we keep it civil and would defend each other’s right to their opinion. As I see it, we are all, so-to-speak, brothers and sisters in arms and should treat each other accordingly.

Off my soapbox and back to lurking!

That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DON'T TELL ME TO CALM DOWN!!! I AM CALM.
F YOU, F YOU AND F YOU!
Who's next?

People just can't have a conversation any more without feeling persecuted.
I really don't get it. Everyone has a viewpoint based on experiences in life.
They may be different but that's just the way it is. Doesn't make it wrong or right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom