What is the big deal about exposing serial numbers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've come across a few places weather it'd be gunbroker or another forum where they mark out the serial number on their gun when showing it. Does anyone know why this is such a big deal to some people?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like Hump66 said.
Post up a picture of a really nice or rare gun with the serial number visable and somebody somewhere will report it stolen then tell the police where to find it and get a gun for free. Happens alot more than you would think.

Many years ago when I had a shop a guy tried that on me. Only problem with his story was it was logged into my books 2 years before he reported it stolen. Plus I had an invoice from the distributor I bought it from.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
scare conspiracy, but i guess better safe than sorry. However, you would have to make a false police report with details of the "theft". I would take some Nad's to do it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Insurance Fraud

Fraudster makes a police report on stolen firearms and collects on an insurance policy. Problem is, the firearm is entered NCIC as stolen. On the off chance your firearm's serial # is ever run, it will show up as stolen and be seized as evidence. YOU have the hassle of proving it's actually yours. :(

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, but I was under the impression that a stolen firearm entered NCIC only stayed on their list for a year. Does anyone know it that is true or just some crap I dreamed up?.

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of off topic, but I was under the impression that a stolen firearm entered NCIC only stayed on their list for a year. Does anyone know it that is true or just some crap I dreamed up?.

It stays in NCIC until it's been removed. I just recently had a gun put on hold from a NCIC hit 13 years ago. The guy who sold it to us bought it at a gun show years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom