What is this thingy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh heck, I bet I just answered my own question in the diode vs MOV post.
They are bridge rectifiers to change A/C to D/C because LED's run on D/C. DUH! Probably half wave.

I guess I am smarter!

We knew you'd figure it out. We just had to let you struggle a while!!! (Obviously, I had no idea.)

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, like in a power strip. Diodes for D/C and MOVs for A/C.
MOVs are in power strips with surge protection, but diodes and MOVs perform totally different functions.

A diode is like a one-way valve - it conducts in one direction/polarity, but not the other. They are used to rectify AC into DC, among other things.

A MOV only conducts past a certain voltage (AC or DC). So if your surge suppressor gets a surge above the MOV voltage limit, it starts to conduct. MOVs are generally used in this capacity to shunt (or short) electricity above their rated voltage and protect your electronics from over-voltage damage.

However, MOVs usually sustain some damage each time they provide this protection. This is why surge suppressors should be replaced periodically.
:drunk2:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Full wave rectifier would have 4 wires
Half wave uses the leds
MOV would only be 1 unit line to neutral
Fuses are typically in the plug (1 per ckt)

its a current limiting resistor

what do I win?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like neons to me. They make a good break-over voltage device, as they won't light up and conduct until they hit 70V-110V (90V is common). They do require series resistance, or you'll have a flash bulb.

No idea why they'd be in a string of LEDs though. :anyone:
Because the leds have a forward voltage of 2-3v. each When you have 35 in series they have that same characteristic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom