What is this thingy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a 70 light set of LED lights and it has two of these things inline. One of the things is at the male plug in end and the next one is halfway down the string.
One set of lights at the halfway point past this device the LEDs do not work. I'm not wanting to open the device in case I have to take the string back but if it's an inline fuse I'll just fix it and avoid the hassle. I have an idea they are either inline resistors to balance the load or a fuseable link type device.

Opinions?

purple led lights device 1.jpg
purple led lights device 2.jpg
purple led lights device 3.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like neons to me. They make a good break-over voltage device, as they won't light up and conduct until they hit 70V-110V (90V is common). They do require series resistance, or you'll have a flash bulb.

No idea why they'd be in a string of LEDs though. :anyone:

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess is a tiny rectifier so the LEDs can operate. I’m guessing yours in the pic are ac powered not powered by a dc battery pack.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe a flasher unit. Does the half that works flash?
No, the lights don't flash.
My guess is a tiny rectifier so the LEDs can operate. I’m guessing yours in the pic are ac powered not powered by a dc battery pack.
Looks like neons to me. They make a good break-over voltage device, as they won't light up and conduct until they hit 70V-110V (90V is common). They do require series resistance, or you'll have a flash bulb.

No idea why they'd be in a string of LEDs though. :anyone:
Like an SCR?
That might be a temperature sensor of some kind to shut the lights off if they get too warm.
Wow! And I thought all you guys were smarter than me! I guess I have to get into the hot attic and find my Christmas tree light fixer. On second thought, that thing only works on incandescent mini lights, not LEDs.

Hmmmm...

Looking further, I have found the plug has two small fuses. I'll check those when I get back from the doctor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom