What is your favorite hunting shotgun ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 20 gauge 1100 Special Field with a straight stock that I also had to sell many years ago. Best upland bird gun I ever owned. Now I shoot my Dad's old .410 SxS.
I have my father-in-laws 1100 Special Field 12 gauge with remchoke tubes and love it for bird hunting. English stock and short barrel make it fast to point.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is my forty five year old Browning "Humpback" A5 12 ga. that I purchased new back in late 1979.

A lot of memories of past hunts come to mind every time I hold it....I've hunted everything from doves, quail, pheasants, rabbits and ducks with it in a few different states and it's never let me down.

View attachment 425565
I have duck guns with 3.5 “ chambers, O/U, SXS, pump’s, semiautomatic, and single shots.
When I want something to take to the field that will consistently put meat on the table, the Browning Sweet 16 comes out of the safe. Mine has a modified choke shooting every thing from low to high power loads without changing the friction rings. It fits me. The sights come to the eye automatically when shouldered and something falls in front of it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While we are talking shotguns, maybe one of you guys can help me figure this out. Many years ago in a complicated multi trade deal, I ended up with a 16ga auto loader with a hump back. Looked a lot like a Browning 5 but was not. It had been refinished (badly) and most of the lettering was washed out. I could make out an F but just very faint traces of the rest of the name.

Any idea what it could have been? I never got around to firing it before I traded it off but I was always curious about it.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While we are talking shotguns, maybe one of you guys can help me figure this out. Many years ago in a complicated multi trade deal, I ended up with a 16ga auto loader with a hump back. Looked a lot like a Browning 5 but was not. It had been refinished (badly) and most of the lettering was washed out. I could make out an F but just very faint traces of the rest of the name.

Any idea what it could have been? I never got around to firing it before I traded it off but I was always curious about it.
There weren’t many humpback shotguns (Browning, Remington 11), I’m thinking it was an old Browning sweet 16 where the “F” was FN Hertsal, the Belgium manufacturer of old Browning guns…..any gun historians out there?

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is my forty five year old Browning "Humpback" A5 12 ga. that I purchased new back in late 1979.

A lot of memories of past hunts come to mind every time I hold it....I've hunted everything from doves, quail, pheasants, rabbits and ducks with it in a few different states and it's never let me down.

View attachment 425565

View attachment 425565
Mine was a 1894 remington double stolen a long time ago. Replaced with a humpback browning that I couldn't hit cardboard with from inside a box. Current favorite weatherby SAS.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, Savage made a humpback from the same design.
Correct and so did Remington......Rem. made the model 11 and Savage had the model 720.

rem11.jpg

Savage model 720.

sav11.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom