What kind of powder and bullets do you like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webmogul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting some inventory for the soon-to-be released site(store) and I've heard several suggestions for including reloading supplies.

So, what brands of powder and bullets would you like to see carried?

Initially I'd like to carry items with mass appeal so I know they will move quicker. So please don't ask for 50 BMG bullets or other non-common items. At least for now :)

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Though I don't live anywhere near BA; I would think some basic powders like unique, clays, win 231, primers small pistol, large pistol, boxes of lead 230gr ball, 9mm plated or lead, .38 cal bullets probably j&K lead, in fact I would probably stock several of the above of J&K's.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Hodgdon, Alliant, and IMR powders seem to be the most common.

Primers!

.452 (.45 acp)
.355 (9mm & .380 acp & others)
.358 (.38 spl & .357 Mag)
.400 (.40S&W & 10mm)
.224 (.223 Rem & 5.56 Nato & others)
.308 (.308 Win, 7.62 Nato, .30-06 Sprg, .30-30, .300 WinMag, etc etc)

6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm all have a pretty big following, but not near to the extent of .30 or .22

There's a boatload more caliber bullets to carry, but those cover a huge majority of common calibers.

Another thing would be a good source of reloading tools. Presses, dies, accessories would be great to have locally.

webmogul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Though I don't live anywhere near BA; I would think some basic powders like unique, clays, win 231, primers small pistol, large pistol, boxes of lead 230gr ball, 9mm plated or lead, .38 cal bullets probably j&K lead, in fact I would probably stock several of the above of J&K's.

The store will be online initially, with a brick and motor store to follow sometime later when I get the FFL.

I hadn't thought of stock J&K's stuff. I've been to their site though so I am aware of them. Might have to have a talk with them :)

webmogul

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hodgdon, Alliant, and IMR powders seem to be the most common.

Primers!

.452 (.45 acp)
.355 (9mm & .380 acp & others)
.358 (.38 spl & .357 Mag)
.400 (.40S&W & 10mm)
.224 (.223 Rem & 5.56 Nato & others)
.308 (.308 Win, 7.62 Nato, .30-06 Sprg, .30-30, .300 WinMag, etc etc)

6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm all have a pretty big following, but not near to the extent of .30 or .22

There's a boatload more caliber bullets to carry, but those cover a huge majority of common calibers.

Another thing would be a good source of reloading tools. Presses, dies, accessories would be great to have locally.

Any particular brands you like or does it matter? I've done some research and it seems some brands have better quality control than others so I would probably choose them first, but whatever the customers want is what I'll get!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Any particular brands you like or does it matter? I've done some research and it seems some brands have better quality control than others so I would probably choose them first, but whatever the customers want is what I'll get!

I like Hornady and Sierra for rifle bullets, for anything other than el cheapo plinking rounds, but I'm not one of the high end precision rifle loaders either.

For pistol, Speer Gold Dot, Rem Golden Sabre, + anything cheap and bulk in both jacketed and lead. A local distributor for Montana Gold, Precision Delta jacketed bullets, and J&K lead would be awesome.

Powder for pistols, Unique, Clays, Bullseye, 2400, Titegroup, H110, pretty much cover everything I load. Easily.

For rifles, Varget, BLC(2), H335, IMR4350, IMR4895 are what I've used, and don't really have any reason right not to change.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hodgdon powders owns IMR and Winchester powders now so thats all under one umbrella. If you start with the more popular calibers and powders(and plenty of primers) you will do well. Keep your prices competitive.As far as bullets..yes J&K is the way to go for lead bullets. You can get Winchesters fairly inexpensive in bulk also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom