What made this track?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_2737979282_54aba87ba8_m_1.jpg
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_bigcat_1.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Side by side comparison of a mountain lion rear paw and the track I took a picture of. The lower illustration is of a canine track. I guess I'm not seeing these prominent claw marks that extend well above the toe pads. What I'm seeing is the lack of claw marks, the lack that the outer toe pads don't face away from the inner toe pads, the presence of a middle lobe on the heel pad and the lack of the outer toe pads being tight to the heel pad. But thats just me. Like I stated earlier I sent this picture to that website everyone keeps posting up to see what they have to say. Needless to say, I should have taken more pictures as there were more tracks. I chose this one because of the proximity to the deer track. Also, I know without a shadow of a doubt this track was at least 5 inches in width. Not sure you're everyday run of the mill dog has a paw that big. Everytime I've seen these tracks it has been in the presence of deer tracks. As if it was tracking deer.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is actually three different tracks overlaid on each other. There was a coyote that was there first, creating the heel pad like a dog, and also why sand covered it up partially. Then, a mountain lion came along and stepped exactly on the coyote's track, but didn't use it's heel... she was walking on her toes.... staying alert. Finally, a deer came along and miraculously stepped on top of the first two tracks, right in the middle of the 4 toes from the mountain lion, creating a deeper cut in the ground on those toes than the others.

Yaaahhh!!!

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is actually three different tracks overlaid on each other. There was a coyote that was there first, creating the heel pad like a dog, and also why sand covered it up partially. Then, a mountain lion came along and stepped exactly on the coyote's track, but didn't use it's heel... she was walking on her toes.... staying alert. Finally, a deer came along and miraculously stepped on top of the first two tracks, right in the middle of the 4 toes from the mountain lion, creating a deeper cut in the ground on those toes than the others.

We have a winner! Excellent tracking skills! I like the way you think.

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_2737979282_54aba87ba8_m_1.jpg
ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_bigcat_1.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Side by side comparison of a mountain lion rear paw and the track I took a picture of. The lower illustration is of a canine track. I guess I'm not seeing these prominent claw marks that extend well above the toe pads. What I'm seeing is the lack of claw marks, the lack that the outer toe pads don't face away from the inner toe pads, the presence of a middle lobe on the heel pad and the lack of the outer toe pads being tight to the heel pad. But thats just me. Like I stated earlier I sent this picture to that website everyone keeps posting up to see what they have to say. Needless to say, I should have taken more pictures as there were more tracks. I chose this one because of the proximity to the deer track. Also, I know without a shadow of a doubt this track was at least 5 inches in width. Not sure you're everyday run of the mill dog has a paw that big. Everytime I've seen these tracks it has been in the presence of deer tracks. As if it was tracking deer.

I agree. That thing just seemed way too massive for a dog...

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna hafta do a 180 on this and agree with Dennis and the other guys who said a canine track. After looking at alot more tracks online and examining my pictue closer. One of the telling signs was that it definitely didn't have the same gate as a mountain lion. Also, neither of the toe pads are leading. You can draw a straight line across the two toes. Never saw any claw marks in the other tracks so I think it may have been a declawed former family pet.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gonna hafta do a 180 on this and agree with Dennis and the other guys who said a canine track. After looking at alot more tracks online and examining my pictue closer. One of the telling signs was that it definitely didn't have the same gate as a mountain lion. Also, neither of the toe pads are leading. You can draw a straight line across the two toes. Never saw any claw marks in the other tracks so I think it may have been a declawed former family pet.

I'm going with some sort of cat. Earlier yousaid the print was at least 5" wide. A 245 lb English Mastiff ( That I have seen personally) doesn't have feet/hoofs/pads nearly that big.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going with some sort of cat. Earlier yousaid the print was at least 5" wide. A 245 lb English Mastiff ( That I have seen personally) doesn't have feet/hoofs/pads nearly that big.

True they were about 5 inches wide. But I did some more digging and the gait, as I recall, wasn't the same as a mountain lion. Plus theres no leading toe pad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom