What Optic for AK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was trying to bore sight a Romeo 5, on my AK tonight, and am running into it not having enough adjustment in the vertical. I tried both the low and the high mounts, with the low getting closer, this is on my TWS dogleg dust cover rail. What optics are you running on your AKs, especially with dust cover rails?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m running a gen 2 RS Regulate 302 Rear Biased mount with a primary arms SLx 3X MicroPrism Scope with an x39 ACSS reticule. But I don’t have a railed dust cover, I’m honestly not a big fan of them. I do really like the optic though. Small like a red dot, mild magnification, clear enough glass, BDC. I’m a fan. Illumination is meh and it doesn’t have shake awake or anything, but I typically just use the bindon aiming concept anyways.

Like this:

https://ak4774.com/product/annihilator-combo/

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. For a laser boresighter, you don't need to try to get the spot and the reticle on the same spot. Especially at closer ranges like 10-25m. Keep in mind that it's a boresight tool and not for zeroing.

There will be an offset between the sight and the laser spot. The boresighter is so you can get on paper for when you zero.
Try this:

1. Measure your offset - the distance between the center of the sight and the bore

2. Put that on paper - two 1/4" dots, one for the spot (bottom), one for the reticle (top), this boresight Target can be place at 10, 15 or 25 m/yds

3. Bag the gun and put the spot on its dot

4. Run the reticle to its dot

5. Check that the reticle is on the top dot and the spot is on the bottom dot at the same time.

Now it's boresighted. All you have to do is go to the range and zero. Determine if you are going to do a 25m zero or a 100m zero. 100m is going to be better but a 25 is fine. The general drop from POA to POI for an AK at a 25m zero is about .35-.4 inches - still recommend the 100m zero.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. For a laser boresighter, you don't need to try to get the spot and the reticle on the same spot. Especially at closer ranges like 10-25m. Keep in mind that it's a boresight tool and not for zeroing.

There will be an offset between the sight and the laser spot. The boresighter is so you can get on paper for when you zero.
Try this:

1. Measure your offset - the distance between the center of the sight and the bore

2. Put that on paper - two 1/4" dots, one for the spot (bottom), one for the reticle (top), this boresight Target can be place at 10, 15 or 25 m/yds

3. Bag the gun and put the spot on its dot

4. Run the reticle to its dot

5. Check that the reticle is on the top dot and the spot is on the bottom dot at the same time.

Now it's boresighted. All you have to do is go to the range and zero. Determine if you are going to do a 25m zero or a 100m zero. 100m is going to be better but a 25 is fine. The general drop from POA to POI for an AK at a 25m zero is about .35-.4 inches - still recommend the 100m zero.
I'll probably do a 25 for starters and then a 100. I may end up getting a Swampfox Trihawk and they zero at 50/200. I mainly wanted to use the high mount on the Romeo 5 because I have a spare Juliet 3 Micro magnifier that would work with it. With having to use the low mount to get close, that sort of kills that idea. The Trihawk is a 3x Prism.

Latest posts

Top Bottom