What Pistol For A SHTF Situation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Of These Pistols Would You Choose For A SHTF Pistol

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I'm likely to get roasted for this and have a plethora of people tell me why I'm wrong. I do love the 1911 platform and I've really REALLY tried to like the .45 ACP round but I just can't. I've owned and traded or sold 3 .45s and will likely try to convince myself again at some point because I like the idea of shooting someone in the pinky toe and blowing their left arm off.

The issue I have and can't overcome is with personal experience. We were disposing an old DRT television, yes one of the big 200 pound console monsters. Tossed it off in a ditch on the home place and decided it would be prudent to knock the tube out of it. 8 rounds of .45 would not penetrate. Subsequently a single round of 9mm dispatched the offending tube. This was a bit dinconcerting to me so I went and found an old windshield and set it up to be shot at an angle as if it was an approaching car. The .45 broke the glass but didn't penetrate. Again, 9mm went straight through (Yes I understand the ballistics).

To this day I can't feel confident carrying a .45 ACP due to the fact I can imagine several scenarios where it may be prudent to shoot through a car windshield and I have little to no confidence the .45 will do so effectively.
I find that very surprising, I once shot a 63 Ford pickup that was in my grandpa's junk pile with a 230gr fmj and it went through the drivers door and out the passenger door no problem. I wouldn't think a TV tube would that hard to break .......Elvis did it with a 380acp

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll go with the 92 from the list. Mine runs like a sewing machine and is very accurate. The problem is, I can’t warm up to it. I’ve tried really hard to like the thing but end up shooting those old clunky things that have round thingys that hold the bullet and spin around.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I'm likely to get roasted for this and have a plethora of people tell me why I'm wrong. I do love the 1911 platform and I've really REALLY tried to like the .45 ACP round but I just can't. I've owned and traded or sold 3 .45s and will likely try to convince myself again at some point because I like the idea of shooting someone in the pinky toe and blowing their left arm off.

I feel the same. I love domestic 1911's. Sexy looking, good feeling. I don't mind the high price of ammo, but I hate that recoil. Ruger makes some real solid 9mm 1911's. I've got two, and wouldn't hop back on the 45 wagon anytime soon.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keeping with your poll choices I voted for Beretta 92. There's no way you can go wrong with any of the choices you listed though.

I absolutely wanted to hate Glock for more than a decade but my daily carry and SHTF pistol is a Gen5 19. The damn thing just works.

I've been an HK/Sig gun snob for a long time but for SHTF all my snobbery goes out the window. It's Glock 19 and Colt LE6920 all the way in a SHTF scenario "For Me anyway"

I can't really pick out another man's SHTF pistol any more than I can pick out his underwear or vehicle.

I'd start by figuring out which caliber you know you want and go from there. In the end they're all just bullet launching platforms. Decide what cal you want to launch and go from there..

For SHTF I'd get what you can always find parts and mags for... Think Academy on Sunday, dead combatants etc...

If we're talking BBQ in the back yard with my buddies then it's the Kimber 1911 my Dad gave me or the S&W 19-3 from my Grandfather. Not the same at all. Completely different rolls.

Always remember, guns are tools so compare them to tools. In a SHTF scenario should I have a 10mm Snap-On end wrench or an Eastwing framing hammer. Maybe a Swiss Army knife.... Heck IDK

Good luck.

Again, all of your choices would work just fine..

xring33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P08 Luger. Not the best choice by any means but, I’m old, slow and tired. The SHTF mob will probably get me early on so I may as well go in style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom